Stripped Screws & Spongy Breaks

strokerlmt

I cancelled it last night. I ordered the part two weeks ago and it still hadn't shipped. Looks like I'll be calling someone else. Sweat, thanks for the numbers to the other shops.

I am with Jeff....Call Carlos.....I have never waited for parts from him. I also ordered a special part and it only took 5 working days. And they tell you what is happening and they always return phone calls.
LMT

cynr1023

TT Racer
Just talked to Carlos today, said to call him back on Tuesday and he'd order the diaphragm, and get me some copper washers for the banjo bolts. Maybe I'll have the bike running before the end of next month. Noticed today that my throttle doesn't return, so that's something else to work on...been thinking about painting my side panels and front fender as well...we will see.

cynr1023

TT Racer
haha, I was wondering if someone was going to pick up on that.

I'm just hoping I can get the part by sometime the following week.

Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
Some times working on your motorcycle can be baffling deal. Ive just spent the last two days trying to bleed my front brakes, tried alot of things. Caliper off the fork and even with the master cyl.;Pushing fluid UP from the caliper; Gravity bleeding all night; Mityvac; Old school pump/release. I was pissed. Nothing worked.

I just took the master cylinder apart and a very dead fly with red eyes floated up out of the piston valve and into the master cylinder. It was kinda creepy looking. It must have landed in there when I first started to bleed. I need more lights in my garage.

You will get back on the streets pretty soon, your bike looks pretty damn cool now but its going to be a hot bastard for a few months. Have ridden much since you got back?

cynr1023

TT Racer
No not really, maybe 500 miles or so, between the down time for upgrades in december, then work, and then the brakes going out on me, being in school for three weeks and a broken foot, not gotten a lot of riding in. Starting to annoy me greatly.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Bike is up and running, what a joy!! I've missed her. Still need to get the two screws but what I've got it holding it down for now.

Bigted

Two Stroke
I don't even fuck with a screw driver on the damn things anymore. If you don't have an impact driver, buy one NOW!

Agree on the impact driver, I have to get one. Every screw/bolt on my Bonnie must have been put on with a friggin 100psi air gun with heavy duty loctite.
Tried to back the bolts out on my switch gear...forget it!!

truckdude

Scooter
Glad to find this thread. Some gorilla must have worked on my bike's front brakes. The MC cover screws stripped right out and both brake line banjo bolts are rounded off. I'll probably go with the easy out method on the MC screws and replace them with an Allen screw. Does anyone know if the banjo bolts are Triumph specific or can I get generic ones at an auto parts store?

Definitely replace the MC screws to allen heads and be sure to put anti-seize on the threads so you don't run into the same problem again. As for the banjo bolt, going aftermarket is cheaper.

truckdude

Scooter
the banjo bolts are probably 10x1 but check with Spiegler USA to be sure
they have them for $6 each

Turns out they are 10x1.25x20mm, Napa and Autozone didn't have them, I'll try the local Triumph dealer who also carries Spiegler. Thanks for the Spiegler lead.

I bought some fancy screw extractors at Sears, $50 damn bucks. They did not work and are going back. I ended up drilling the heads off, the rest came out easily. For anyone with the same problem, the screws are 5mmx.8x20mm. I picked up some black Allen heads and some SS screws, I'll see if I can find some SS Allen heads to go better with my chrome cover.