Street Triple R

My mechanic delayed buying a Street, to put an order on one of these.
I think I'd still upgrade the suspension (the rear shocky at the very least). But it'd be good to start from a better baseline, as the stock Street's forks are considered to have inbuilt flaws, which are hard to overcome (even with cartridges). & the Daytona units are well respected & race-proven.
I didn't like the slate grey colour either, until I saw the orange Triumph logo. & I think the two compliment each other well. Though I'd probably be keener to get my cheque ook out, if they were doing one in black.

PS Thanks for the pics Street675. They're top-notch.

I'm not a suspension expert. But I've been told by those that are, that the internal design is so bad (don't know why) that a normal revalve job won't cure it's ills, & that cartridges are the only option. But even these can't fully rectify the inherent design faults.
Personally, I didn't find the stock forks too bad (compared to the stock shock), & I only went for the upgrade because Maxton said that it'd stop my wrists from aching, which it did.
But I'm no racer, & my experience on high-performance sports bikes is very limited.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
So I was out bike shopping today, and sat on a Thrux...it doesn't seem city friendly, and the lack of possible positions made this a "No"...for now at least. A Scrambler...seat height was good. This looks and feels like a 'play bike' It is supposed to get dirty, and stay that way. This is a possible. And then I was talking to my dealer about the ST3R. Now, of course he wants to sell me another bike, that is understood. But, if I throw down $500 deposit, that will get the bike to the shop, with my name on top of the list. Should I change my mind, I get the $500 back, the back goes to some other lucky SOB. My main concern with the 3R is the available hp+torque, and the desire to use the bike to it's potential, which could, and probably will result in some speeding tix a la 'Old Scratcher'. So...what to do?

Now, I don't NEED another ride. I really can't afford another ride, but damn Triumph for making some sweet bikes in the Bonnie, the ST3R, and the Scrambler. Now I have to figure out how creative I can get with my accounting. hmmm, I wonder if the shop would take a Les Paul in on trade?

Hey Scratch, if you could only keep one (Scrambler or ST3) of your bikes, which would it be?

Hey Scratch, if you could only keep one (Scrambler or ST3) of your bikes, which would it be?

I've always said that it'd be the Scram. But in truth, it's a tough call.
The Scram is more fun (& easier to keep) at legal speeds. It has a comfier ride position, & it's dual purpose nature means that I can use it ALL across Nth Qld. Whereas the Street's strictly a bitumen only machine (took it on a dirt rd. once. NEVER again!)
But in the Street's favour, it's got a greater touring range & lower running costs (mainly due to it running on standard fuel) It's lighter, quicker, & better handling than the Scram. & it can easilly be ridden within the law when needed to (especially if you've the kind of incentive that I have:D). But you've still got all of that hooligan potential just a twist of the wrist away.
So TBH I really don't want to sell either of them.;)
But if I really had to choose just one to keep, it'd be the Scram (probably)

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
It's weird...

The ST3R is a gorgeous bike, but is it really practical for me? Watching youtube videos of people with their 3's, they all comment on how nice it is, fast it can go etc. Then watch people with their Scrambler's and it seems that alot more of them are wearing that 'shit-eating' grin that comes with riding a really fun bike. Good thing $$$ is limited or I would just get both....

StreetT675

Two Stroke
Hamr,

I guess the answer to this is what roads are available to you. around here I have a lot of twities but it's all tarmac and therfore is suited to the Street, I have very little unmade dirt road to go on that they you can needs a full on off road so allthough I would love a Scram I cant see that I would ride enough as the Street is always going to be better on the roads I have to ride on

Hamr,

I guess the answer to this is what roads are available to you. around here I have a lot of twities but it's all tarmac and therfore is suited to the Street, I have very little unmade dirt road to go on that they you can needs a full on off road so allthough I would love a Scram I cant see that I would ride enough as the Street is always going to be better on the roads I have to ride on

You're partially right there StreetT675. On open (unpoliced) roads the Street is a much superior machine, however the Scram is far from a slug in such circumstances, & while it's slower than the Street, it's very close in the fun stakes.
But it it's in town where the Scram starts to edge ahead of the Street, in both practicallity & fun. It should be remembered that Triumph call the Scram a Street Scrambler, & that's because it makes such a good urban bike. The torque from the 270 motor make it the perfect tool for carving up traffic, as does the excellent handling. & the off-road suspension comes in handy for taking short-cuts across kerbs etc. It's lower seat height also makes it an easier bike to get on & off, & if I've got a lot of running around town to do, it's always the bike I'll take. In fact I'd go as far to say that a Scram would make an excellent couriers mount.

Last edited:

StreetT675

Two Stroke
OS,

Thanks mate I did have a scram booked out while mine was in for it's first service but it was raining so hard I thought against it (they have a big excess on the insurance) I just signed to buy my own shed sorry house :D
so next bike is going to have to wait a bit still can't decided between a Bonny, Scram or a 1050 sprint too many bikes not enough money :(

drlapo

Hooligan
The street triple is a fabulous motorcycle. It is easy to ride and will scream, if given some stick
it is very comfortable to ride, is an easy handling bike but OH that motor
suspension is fine for the average Joe although I've already installed the Daytona shock on mine
I am always fiddling with my Thruxton, but the street triple needs nothing

Gretsch

Rocker
Have any of you seen the orange in person? It's friggin' HOT! I didn't like it on the website but dude....in person...WOW!