Stop/Start Bonnie

alxfer

Scooter
Got a 3 year old Bonneville. When I get it out of garage, it takes a few turns to start. It'll then tick over on the choke and then just cut out. Minute later it starts OK. A mile up the road it'll just stop again. I sit for another minute or 2 and we're off again. Then it stops every few miles after that and then goes absolutely fine. My mechanic friend has had the carbs off, stripped and checked but they're not showing any signs of sticking or gumming up. Vents are clear.
Anyone had similar problems?
One theory is maybe the side stand switch?
Hoping to get it back working in time for next weekends Triumph Owners Club National Rally

My first thought was sidestand switch as mine plays up if i dont lift it right. Another problem I had (tho neither sound totally right for your symptoms) was electrics under seat, But this only happened on mine as I fitted a seat from an EFI model, which sat lower and basically switched bike off. Padded seat slightly and resolved that one.

AceT100

Rocker
You may wanna also check the fuel cap vent is allowing air into the tank, otherwise you will be creating a vacuum lock....

alxfer

Scooter
Didn't get the bike back for the Rally, which was brilliant again.
My pal isolated the side stand switch and ran it for 4 miles and then today for 14 miles with no problems. Came to pick it up, 4 mile down road it cut out. Minute later away we go. It shut down 3 times after that. Convinced it was the s/s switch, we are now back to the drawing board. I'll look at under seat wiring tmrrw and blow out the tank cap with air. Will keep you posted on progress.

BobM

Two Stroke
Could it be the tip over switch? Mine acted the same as yours when I got it, turned out it was a bad sensor.

alxfer

Scooter
What sensor is this Bob?
Did a social 50 mile run on Monday...OK
Did a social run out on Tuesday, 80 mile....OK
Went to work on it this morning, stopped 2 mile down the road, it started after a couple minutes, and has been OK for rest of the day.
Seems it doesn't like going to work eh?

TC_Dick

TT Racer
What sensor is this Bob?
Did a social 50 mile run on Monday...OK
Did a social run out on Tuesday, 80 mile....OK
Went to work on it this morning, stopped 2 mile down the road, it started after a couple minutes, and has been OK for rest of the day.
Seems it doesn't like going to work eh?

I'd pull the tank vent hose, and see if you can blow through it. To me it sounds like a vent problem.

alxfer

Scooter
I have already blown through the tank vent. I saw it has the tip over valve halfway down the vent tube behind the carbs. When it stopped the other day, I pulled off the vent from the bottom of the tank and it ran OK. I am suspecting a sticking tip over valve. Someone from my club suggested taking it off and joining the two ends with a piece of tubing. The bike has been behaving itself since that morning.
Thanks for all the advice folks

koifarm

Hooligan
I have already blown through the tank vent. I saw it has the tip over valve halfway down the vent tube behind the carbs. When it stopped the other day, I pulled off the vent from the bottom of the tank and it ran OK. I am suspecting a sticking tip over valve. Someone from my club suggested taking it off and joining the two ends with a piece of tubing. The bike has been behaving itself since that morning.
Thanks for all the advice folks

Clogged tip over valve?

TC_Dick

TT Racer
On the right side of the tank there is a vent hose that runs down towards the back of the bike. In the middle of the hose there is a plastic valve assembly, that's the tip over valve. it stays open if the valve is upright, but closes if it's horizontal. it keeps the gas from flowing out the vent tube if your bike falls over.

alxfer

Scooter
Thanx for that. Suspecting it's sticking. I'm in the habit of whipping off the petrol cap and purging the vent when I get the bike out of the garage. No repeat of problems since that day I reported earlier. I'll either get it replaced or remove it altogether
Cheers for all the advice.