Stock tire revelation

geo-k

Scooter
I took the beast out Sunday morning as usual. It was HOT:eeek: already at 730am, so I checked the air pressure in the garage (and the shade). Rear 32psi on stock TW, front 28.5psi. Now I have to roll it out, grab my mini compressor, etc for 1.5 psi. Screw it, I just go out and ride.
Guess what, I think I found the magic elixir for the front tire!
It was still knobbly loud on concrete, but the front suspension felt smooth and composed and soaked up bumps that I usually brace myself for.
I am going to mess around with it a bit, but I am so used to overinflating car tires for mileage that the comfort level was a revelation.
For reference, I have a 2007 Scram with ~3k miles I bought 3 months ago with stock tires on both ends.

casper

Two Stroke
I guess youve heard about the stock tyre? (or tire as it is in US spelling)

Basically, when I bought my Scram 2 years ago, it had the Bridgestone Trail Wing tyre/tire fitted to it. It was then 2 years old and had only done in total 2,000 miles.

Some owners find the Bridgestone Trail Wing fine by the way, but my experience was less happy. For example, the bike's rear end would come loose when I went round a bend at mild speed in damp conditions. Given the size of the Scram. this is a little frightening.

Subsequently, talking to off road guys, this is a characteristic of ''knobbly'' or trail tyres/tires.

I fitted Metzeler Tourance tyres just over 18 months ago, these are 75% road riding biased and are a much better tyre/tire , in my humble opinion.

But if you do ride the Bridgestone's and are happy with them, you aren't on your own as some people do get on with them fine. Its just my own experience that I thought you'd find helpful.

Safe riding,

Casper :)

Guys, It is a British Bike and should have British Tyres. Try Avon Distanza. I have them on the Scrambler and Tiger and they look the part as well. Great mileage usage, very good in the wet and you will be hard pushed to get them to step out of line, they also cope well with gravel trails. Best of and as always

Keep those knees in the breeze

tarmac bob

Scooter
I guess youve heard about the stock tyre? (or tire as it is in US spelling)

Basically, when I bought my Scram 2 years ago, it had the Bridgestone Trail Wing tyre/tire fitted to it. It was then 2 years old and had only done in total 2,000 miles.

Some owners find the Bridgestone Trail Wing fine by the way, but my experience was less happy. For example, the bike's rear end would come loose when I went round a bend at mild speed in damp conditions. Given the size of the Scram. this is a little frightening.

Subsequently, talking to off road guys, this is a characteristic of ''knobbly'' or trail tyres/tires.

I fitted Metzeler Tourance tyres just over 18 months ago, these are 75% road riding biased and are a much better tyre/tire , in my humble opinion.

But if you do ride the Bridgestone's and are happy with them, you aren't on your own as some people do get on with them fine. Its just my own experience that I thought you'd find helpful.

Safe riding,

That's interesting, mines just done 3K miles (had it 4 weeks and done 1300 of those!) I have noticed "bobbling" on the front, i.e the side pattern is wearing much faster than the centre tread and there is probably a 3mm "ridge" waiting to happen. The back tyre's wall profile is so sharp I haven't attempted anything remotely risky cornering...

Saw another Scrambler with Michelin Anarkee 2's fitted, and these looked similar - did you consider these?

casper

Two Stroke
Guys, It is a British Bike and should have British Tyres. Try Avon Distanza. I have them on the Scrambler and Tiger and they look the part as well. Great mileage usage, very good in the wet and you will be hard pushed to get them to step out of line, they also cope well with gravel trails. Best of and as always

Keep those knees in the breeze

Dave,

I understand what the sentiment is with the British thing, but aren't all Bridgestone tyres/tires, made in Japan now anyway?

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember someone mentioning that when a group of bikers were talking together a while back.

casper

Two Stroke
That's interesting, mines just done 3K miles (had it 4 weeks and done 1300 of those!) I have noticed "bobbling" on the front, i.e the side pattern is wearing much faster than the centre tread and there is probably a 3mm "ridge" waiting to happen. The back tyre's wall profile is so sharp I haven't attempted anything remotely risky cornering...

Saw another Scrambler with Michelin Anarkee 2's fitted, and these looked similar - did you consider these?

I understand the Anakees are a good tyre/tire.

But when i was on another site that shall remain nameless (you know the site I mean) there was a lot of discussion about what tyres/tires to replace the Bridgestone Trail Wings with.

The general view was the Tourance Metzelers were the better ones. So I went for them and have been very pleased.

http://www.tyretest.com/motorradreifen/metzeler/tourance_steel_radial/index.html

The Bridgestones go with the look of the bike but they are just plain dangerous IMHO. It is not for nothing that their nickname as someone pointed out a few posts back is not ''Trail Wing'' but ''Death Wing''. Lethal rubber.

Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
There must be something wrong with me. I have the Trailwings on my Scrambler and Suzuki V-Strom. I really like these tires. Granted they are the tires that came with the bike. If what folks are saying is true, then I will be really impressed with some of the other recommended brands.

I was thinking of keeping the Bridgestone Trailwings but maybe there is something I don't know? Why would Triumph and Suzuki put such dangerous tires on bikes? Why does Bridgestone make these tires if they are unsafe?

casper

Two Stroke
There must be something wrong with me. I have the Trailwings on my Scrambler and Suzuki V-Strom. I really like these tires. Granted they are the tires that came with the bike. If what folks are saying is true, then I will be really impressed with some of the other recommended brands.

I was thinking of keeping the Bridgestone Trailwings but maybe there is something I don't know? Why would Triumph and Suzuki put such dangerous tires on bikes? Why does Bridgestone make these tires if they are unsafe?

Roy,

good point.

What I've said is purely my own experience. So as we say in the UK, you have to 'take it or leave it'. As it is purely my own (imperfect !) view as an ordinary rider.

In speaking to guys who do a lot of off road riding with what we call 'knobblies' (the more off road tyres/tires, which I would classify the TWs as ) the Trail Wings demonstrate more off road chartacteristics (which make them super for a biker who does trail riding etc. and their biking is , say, 80% trail and 20% road).

I suspect that most Scrambler owners do most of their riding on tarmac? I certainly do 99.9% of my riding on tarmac. So IMO the Metzelers are a good tyre/tire for road / tarmac conditions.

I wouldn't completely 'rubbish' the Trail Wings, but certainly I've found their characteristics to be alarming on cornering in damp or wet conditions. But apparently such characteristics are 'normal' for knobblies. The TWs frightened me, and I wanted to live to enjoy the Scrambler!

Casper:)

Last edited:

tarmac bob

Scooter
Roy,

good point.

What I've said is purely my own experience. So as we say in the UK, you have to 'take it or leave it'. As it is purely my own (imperfect !) view as an ordinary rider.

In speaking to guys who do a lot of off road riding with what we call 'knobblies' (the more off road tyres/tires, which I would classify the TWs as ) the Trail Wings demonstrate more off road chartacteristics (which make them super for a biker who does trail riding etc. and their biking is , say, 80% trail and 20% road).

I suspect that most Scrambler owners do most of their riding on tarmac? I certainly do 99.9% of my riding on tarmac. So IMO the Metzelers are a good tyre/tire for road / tarmac conditions.

I wouldn't completely 'rubbish' the Trail Wings, but certainly I've found their characteristics to be alarming on cornering in damp or wet conditions. But apparently such characteristics are 'normal' for knobblies. The TWs frightened me, and I wanted to live to enjoy the Scrambler!

Casper:)

That has been exactly my experience Casper, but as a really new rider I put it down to my inexperience. I think I'll be swapping over to Tourances at the first opportunity then. The TrailWings are not "dangerous" perhaps but like you say the most use they get is on decent roads and the uneven wear is such a waste of money. The Bonneville I did my training on was a much nicer feel as far as the tyres went.

Thanks for that mate; really like your website by the way.

I agree..lol..Replacing my stock tires at 3K mile with Avon Distanzia was a big improvement. Much more solid in corners and much smoother. On gravel roads runs just as good.
Changing tires out to different ones is something I enjoy. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

casper

Two Stroke
That has been exactly my experience Casper, but as a really new rider I put it down to my inexperience. I think I'll be swapping over to Tourances at the first opportunity then. The TrailWings are not "dangerous" perhaps but like you say the most use they get is on decent roads and the uneven wear is such a waste of money. The Bonneville I did my training on was a much nicer feel as far as the tyres went.

Thanks for that mate; really like your website by the way.

Bob,

yes thats the point I was making exactly. Enjoy your Scram. I have had loads of fun in the 2 years of ownership and the funny thing is I like the bike as much now as when i got it!

tarmac bob

Scooter
Bob,

yes thats the point I was making exactly. Enjoy your Scram. I have had loads of fun in the 2 years of ownership and the funny thing is I like the bike as much now as when i got it!

Been for a superb ride out this evening, having extracted the baffle at last and what a bloody gorgeous tune it plays now:headbang2: Rode out up thru Ashbourne and the Manifold valley. Stopped at Longnor for a smoke and coke (diet!) and met a bunch of guys from Sheffield. Lots of chat about the various bikes (had mine photgraphed by the Yam trail bike rider!). Top ride back thru Cromford and down to Derby. Only black spot was a tit in a Volvo estate doing a sudden right turn with f-all notice. Slapped the anchors on and skidded to a halt just in time so my fault for not leaving more distance and poor obs generally (note to self - 110 miles safely and the last 5 made a basic error - stay awake!!) Still no harm done and to be fair the tyres stuck down beautifully.
What a great way to finish the working week:):):)

casper

Two Stroke
Been for a superb ride out this evening, having extracted the baffle at last and what a bloody gorgeous tune it plays now:headbang2: Rode out up thru Ashbourne and the Manifold valley. Stopped at Longnor for a smoke and coke (diet!) and met a bunch of guys from Sheffield. Lots of chat about the various bikes (had mine photgraphed by the Yam trail bike rider!). Top ride back thru Cromford and down to Derby. Only black spot was a tit in a Volvo estate doing a sudden right turn with f-all notice. Slapped the anchors on and skidded to a halt just in time so my fault for not leaving more distance and poor obs generally (note to self - 110 miles safely and the last 5 made a basic error - stay awake!!) Still no harm done and to be fair the tyres stuck down beautifully.
What a great way to finish the working week:):):)

Bob,

sounds great. Have you posted up a photo of the beast yet? Is it a standard scram?

Keep it shiny side up!

Casper

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Bob,

Glad you did not wind up as a hood ornament. BTW was that extreme stop on the stock Trailwings?

I would like to try the Tourance's out. I have noticed I am doing more and more tarmac riding. A good tire changer may be in my future??

tarmac bob

Scooter
Bob,

Glad you did not wind up as a hood ornament. BTW was that extreme stop on the stock Trailwings?

I would like to try the Tourance's out. I have noticed I am doing more and more tarmac riding. A good tire changer may be in my future??

it would have been a road runner type splat across his rear screen (other side of the pond = other side of the road!). I left a 20 feet strip of rubber on a brand new road surface. The front tyre slipped slightly but "auto pilot" kicked in and I kept her upright :eeek: Like I say. too damn close, my fault. Lucky it was only at about 20-25 mph. I was surprised on reflection but I'm still definitely going to change them as soon as practical. (bit less tread now as well!) Thanks for the best wishes mate!