Stock headlight lens replacement?

314lot

Scooter
The headlight lens is cracked on my stock 2006 Bonneville. I would like to replace JUST the lens. I've had no success finding a retail source that sells the lens alone.

Does anyone have suggestions other than headlight replacement or sources like ebay?

ivar

TT Racer
I put in a Hella replacement reflector/lens unit:
DSC_0235%20%28Large%29.JPG

Ivar, do you have a part number for the Hella? I might do this eventually, always looking for something to upgrade the bike, since I pretty much leave the engine alone.

normandy

Street Tracker
Or you can drop in a 7" quartz seal beam for $7.00 available at any auto parts store and have more light than the OEM lense.

ivar

TT Racer
Don't remember the part # for the hella unit, but its a generic 7" replacement unit. I'm sure if you bring the stock one with you to a dealer, that they should be able to find a match. Cibie also got those.
Sylvania got some sealed beams, I think they're called 6024..?

And yes, they are thge same wattage, but lens + reflector is a lot brighter than stock - resulting in improved lightning.

tribear

Street Tracker
LIGHTNING! Dang, that is bright!
Just messin' with ya ivar....:)
Mine is cracked as well. Good info. Thanks!

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Just so you won't feel bad about replacing the headlight on your Bonnie.. I have a '74 BMW R90S.. sweet bike. I called Bob's BMW in Maryland to check on the price for a replacement headlight.. $469.95!!! That's not a misprint. Of course that's a 36 year old NOS headlamp, but still..

normandy

Street Tracker
This can be done without modifications to the surrounding hardware and the wiring?

No mods, drops right in and plugs to your connector. Headlights and small bulbs are some of the survivors of the "standard" auto parts days.

314lot

Scooter
A $7 try

OK then, I can afford a $7 experiment. I'll let you know how it turns out. (Probably next week.)

Thanks everyone for the input.

Bonafide

NBR founder
314lot - I used one of those auto headlights from advanceautoparts cause I was in the same situation you are now - broken lens - while it does plug in a play, it does not shine like a stock reflector and throws a weird light pattern. Works in a pinch, but I dont recommend one for night time riding at all.

314lot

Scooter
Hmmmm

Thanks for the warning. I do ride at night.

I tried the salvage sites you suggested. One did not offer the lens alone while the entire headlight unit was nearly as much as the OEM I am considering for $212. The other site serves as an intermediary. I am waiting for a response.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Thanks for the warning. I do ride at night.

I tried the salvage sites you suggested. One did not offer the lens alone while the entire headlight unit was nearly as much as the OEM I am considering for $212. The other site serves as an intermediary. I am waiting for a response.

wow ... ok, in that case ... try http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

You'll want the one with a parking light, but just email him and let him know what bike you have - they should be able to assist from there.

314lot

Scooter
Wow

Bonafide,

Now this is more like what I am looking for. I assume your recommendation means it does well at night.

Thanks once again.

Bonafide

NBR founder
yes, the lens has the proper reflector for a motorcycle. i'd recommend getting a bulb upgrade too. it's makes a huge difference.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You'll want to look at Daniel Stern's plots of intensity. I tried the Cibie from him and totally hated it. It was bright enough, but had these very very distracting bright and dark bands like rays that went out from the sides and bright hotspots that bothered me, a lot. I was terrified on my test night ride. He graciously let me return the reflector, I got the idea that it was a special consideration on his part. I'm using a $20 GE Nighthawk Sealed Beam, at Mr. Sterns' suggestion, instead. The high beam on the Nighthawk is awesome, nice wide pattern with no banding or dark spots. I'd love to keep it on all the time at night (and sometimes do, we have very dark roads around here). The low beam is a bit narrow for my tastes, but acceptable. I'd love to try one of the old Cibie Z-Beams from Stern (no longer manufactured), but he only sells them in pairs and I'd be worried that he wouldn't take it back if I didn't like it. I'd get one for Bonnielass, too, but it's a lot of $$ if we don't like 'em.

The Sylvania H6024 or 42 or whatever is shite. Totally asymmetric beam pattern, fine for "don't offend the oncoming cagers" but not so much for "where are those fucking deer?"

:)