Still puzzled about Thruxton bar clearance

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I've had my '08 Bonnie for a few years now and have tried a few different handlebars on it. My favourites are the Thruxton bars - I've had them on for as long time now.

One thing I still don't understand is the clearance of the tank. I have been into the Triumph dealership a few times to look at Thruxtons and the handlebars have plenty of clearance of the fueltank. But on my Bonneville the clearance is much less, and at full lock I risk pain to my thumbs as they get caught between the tanks and bars.

I noticed that the Thruxton has higher risers than a Bonneville, so I put higher risers on mine. In fact my risers are a little higher than a Thruxton's now. But still clearance is not as great. I have angled the bars up at the ends so that the grips are parallel with the ground, and still I don't have the same clearance. And the bike looks way better with them angled down a bit too.

So I am confused. I thought everything was more or less the same with these bikes. I have looked at the bikes in the dealership and can't see how they differ.

Any ideas?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I did not know that!

I have M bars on my '07 Bonnie without risers and they are just fine. I have them set at such an angle that there's *just* room for my thumbs between the bar and the tank, but really other than backing and filling to turn the bike around you *never* have the bars rocked that far over during actual riding.

bonZa

Street Tracker
don't have an answer to your question, but I have Thruxton M bars on my T100 with 1" risers and have very little clearance, just enough for my fingers to be squeezed a little.

maybe they have been fitted 'upside' down although I dont know if really makes much of a difference

islander

moped
The reason the Thruxton bars work on the Thruxton and not the Bonneville, is because the lock to lock turning distance is much smaller on the Thrux than the Bonnie.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I thought the shallower rake was a result of the higher rear end and smaller front wheel? Aren't the frames the same?