stiff grips

drlapo

Hooligan
any tricks for installing cheap stiff hand grips?
i picked up a set of eBay grips and the right grip is too stiff to stretch over the throttle tube, i can beat the left grip on with a rubber mallet
would heating it up in hot water help?

If you have have an air compressor use air to shoot between the grip and clip-on/handlebar.

You can try putting the grip in hot water to make it a little more pliable. However I am concerned that the grip is dry rotted.

Purell hand sanitizer works great. I usually run a bead across the top of the bar or throttle tube while twisting the grip it slides right on. Then the alcohol evaporates leaving a nice tight fit.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I use hairspray. Not the Aveda or other high end stuff that gives 'movable hold', but the spray can kind that drys hard and was used by gum chomping, beehive hairstyle waitress types.

drlapo

Hooligan
the problem is that the right grip has 7/8" id so it will not stretch over the 1" throttle tube
tough to use compressed air: open ended grips
I have to figure out a way to "open up" the right grip
boiling water might cause it to loosen up and stretch

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
friction is not the problem; inside daimater is the problems ie it is too small
how can I exppand the grip to fit over the throttle tube?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Stiff grips.... tight inside diameter... beat it if it's too hard... can't slide it in... silicone.... hand sanitizer....

What the fuck is this thread about again??????

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I would say you are n the right track already. Very hot water will definitely help. Don't under-estimate the effect that some lube will provide. I use some dish washing liquid. Just squeeze a little inside the grip, spread it with your finger and they slip right on. After a day or so they don't slide any more. But I would say the hot water should get you started. That's how mouth guards are shaped, and they are some pretty firm stuff.

The only problem I see is that if the grips are designed for 7/8th bars they might split on 1" bars.