LSL rearsets on a 2002 Bonneville. Bleed the brakes?

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Just purchased a pair of LSL rearsets for my 2002 Bonneville. I successfully installed the shifter side and plan on doing the brake side tomorrow. A friend of mine mentioned that I need to bleed the brakes when installing them. Can anyone confirm. The instructions do not mention anything about that.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
The only reason the brakes would need to be bleed would be if any of the lines are disconnected allowing air into the system but if the master cylinder is removed from the bike keeping the lines attached to the resorvoir and the supply line to the calliper then every thing should be ok. Just check that your pedal feels the same before and after and that it doesn't become all spongy. If it is spongy then the brakes will need bleeding.

strokerlmt

The only reason the brakes would need to be bleed would be if any of the lines are disconnected allowing air into the system but if the master cylinder is removed from the bike keeping the lines attached to the resorvoir and the supply line to the calliper then every thing should be ok. Just check that your pedal feels the same before and after and that it doesn't become all spongy. If it is spongy then the brakes will need bleeding.

Ditto....I put my rear sets on and just laid the the brake master cylinder and reservoir off to the side and blue taped them to the strut. If you do not brake a master joint somewhere you should not have to bleed the rear brake system.
LMT

I installed the LSLs on my '08. Loosened the bolt on the top of the cylinder only to be able to spin the master cylinder 180*. I probably didn't need to bleed, but I did anyways. Super easy. With my right hand on the break pedal and my left hand giving a courtesy reach around to the break nipple, from behind, probably looked like I was screwing it in the ass.

I also found I needed to modify my side panel to accommodate the new location of the break line.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I installed the LSLs on my '08. Loosened the bolt on the top of the cylinder only to be able to spin the master cylinder 180*. I probably didn't need to bleed, but I did anyways. Super easy. With my right hand on the break pedal and my left hand giving a courtesy reach around to the break nipple, from behind, probably looked like I was screwing it in the ass.

I also found I needed to modify my side panel to accommodate the new location of the break line.

Hey thanks! Quick question for you, the stock brake pedal has kind of a stopper on it that seems to limit the travel on the pedal but the LSL don't the only thing that stops it is the rod that goes into the master cylinder. Is that how your rear sets are? I'm worried that if for whatever reason I have to slam the brakes hard I might ruin the master cylinder.

Hey thanks! Quick question for you, the stock brake pedal has kind of a stopper on it that seems to limit the travel on the pedal but the LSL don't the only thing that stops it is the rod that goes into the master cylinder. Is that how your rear sets are? I'm worried that if for whatever reason I have to slam the brakes hard I might ruin the master cylinder.

Yeah, that's how mine are as well. I haven't really given it much thought, but I'm not too worried about it either.