Steering Lock Removal

Hello All
my key broke in the steering lock on the Bonneville SE. Any ideas how to remove the lock? the other half of the key is made from brass i beleive.
Made mistake of leaving in place while i accidentally turned the front wheel, while cleaning the rim. OH fleckin, b'starding, b'llocks.

Regards

koifarm

Hooligan
OR, you could do the old bikenapper trick, sit on the seat, put both feet on the (left, I believe) bar and push, it will snap the lock easily....
Do not ask me how I know this....

slowgator

750cc
Same thing happened to my T100 just after I got it. Had to have it towed to the dealer and they drilled it out and replaced with a new one. No problems since and I use it all the time.

Further to this :)
on following a new steering lock being bought, and reading a few BMW articles and getting the key extractor kit, here goes.
1. hopefully the steering lock is in the unlocked position.
2. As per BMW (early and classic) motorcycles and some other European makes, Moto Guzzi etc etc. Remove the pivoting cover and pin (hammer drive rivet) either using chisel or screwdriver, or hacksaw through or grind. being careful of course!
3. The brass lock assembly will not pull out straight away using long nose pliers!
4. Rotate the inner brass cylinder lock (bit with the broken key in) with a screwdriver, carefully, anticlockwise about 4mm approx. while doing this, using a pair of long nose pliers extract the lock by gently pulling towards you.
5. no need to drill the lock - last resort anyway. and having obtained key extractors, unfortunately they didnt work for me.
New lock from Triumph GBP 35 and then new cover and hammerdrive river and wavy washer on top of that.
Beleive the lock maybe made by a german company (Neiman) but they are now owned by Zadi in italy. lock itself is now made in India. what a global supply world we live in.
Hope this helps?

strokerlmt

Further to this :)
on following a new steering lock being bought, and reading a few BMW articles and getting the key extractor kit, here goes.
1. hopefully the steering lock is in the unlocked position.
2. As per BMW (early and classic) motorcycles and some other European makes, Moto Guzzi etc etc. Remove the pivoting cover and pin (hammer drive rivet) either using chisel or screwdriver, or hacksaw through or grind. being careful of course!
3. The brass lock assembly will not pull out straight away using long nose pliers!
4. Rotate the inner brass cylinder lock (bit with the broken key in) with a screwdriver, carefully, anticlockwise about 4mm approx. while doing this, using a pair of long nose pliers extract the lock by gently pulling towards you.
5. no need to drill the lock - last resort anyway. and having obtained key extractors, unfortunately they didnt work for me.
New lock from Triumph GBP 35 and then new cover and hammerdrive river and wavy washer on top of that.
Beleive the lock maybe made by a german company (Neiman) but they are now owned by Zadi in italy. lock itself is now made in India. what a global supply world we live in.
Hope this helps?

Not trying to be a jerk but why spend all the time and energy messing with a cheap ass stock bit that will not save your bike from a knowledgeable thief. Drill the SOB out using drill and vacum cleaner at the same time to suck all the bits away from the bike, at no cost, then clean the hole and fill with some 2 part epoxy, sand the epox and paint with some black paint small brush. Then spend 19.95 on a rotor lock and don't worry about the useless steer lock again.
Just my thoughts.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I have never used the fork lock. My brother forgot to unlock one back in the 60s and tipped over immediately. Didn't bother him too much, but my cousin got really pissed and girls can hit hard when they have their dander up.

LMT
Good point :) thanks for bringin me back to earth. lol. always use a disc lock too.
knowledgable theif will get whatever machine anyway. like the terms you've used :)
bear your advise in mind, useful that :)