steering damper question

wolfie

Two Stroke
Is the Norman Hyde steering damper reversible, as in can it be mounted on the left as well as the right?

All the pictures I see of it are mounted on the right, and I like the looks of the NH the best of the available dampers.

I still have fantasies of mounting a sidecar someday however, and I fear that mounting the damper on the right could interfere with the sidecar mounts.

Thanks.

koifarm

Hooligan
Damn dampeners!

Not sure about the NH damper, mine is a BC and is on the left, I would think they are reversable but don't know for sure even on mine.
You are probably correct though, more than possible they would interfere with most attachment systems on the RH side, I know it would in my case.

Picture is of right upper mount, directly in the way of a damper which would be mounted on the frame tube immediately to the left of the mount. As an alternate you might be able to get a frame clamp (not that great) to fit below the two frame bolts enough to clear the damper but it's better to have the upper mount as high as possible to give you a better angle on the mount.

You could always get the NH damper now and when and if you ever get a car you could sell that one and get a BC

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0002.jpg

Last edited:

Skeeter

Rocker
corect me if im wrong but they install the dampener on the right size due to the ignition bein on the left. ive read that the NH will work on the left if you get the ign. relocate kit. my bike i flipped the head light assembly so my ign is on the right size which i a lot nicer anyway

Is the Norman Hyde steering damper reversible, as in can it be mounted on the left as well as the right?

All the pictures I see of it are mounted on the right, and I like the looks of the NH the best of the available dampers.

I still have fantasies of mounting a sidecar someday however, and I fear that mounting the damper on the right could interfere with the sidecar mounts.

Thanks.
My LSL dampener is mounted on the right side and does not interfere with my hack mounts.

Here's a pic without the hack...the upper hack mount is about an inch below the dampener.

IMG_8117.jpg

RumRunner

Street Tracker
The Norman Hyde WILL NOT mount on the left hand side of the bike. The lower bracket (that mounts to the frame) will reverse, but the upper bracket that mounts on the forks is not reversible. I had to fab one up to move my NH to the left side on my Thrux.

strokerlmt

I believe Rum is correct. I had a NH and liked it.....I like most NH products but I have LsL now and think it is better. More adjustment.
Best....LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
Damn dampners

My LSL dampener is mounted on the right side and does not interfere with my hack mounts.

Here's a pic without the hack...the upper hack mount is about an inch below the dampener.

IMG_8117.jpg

They are all different it appears, here's a picture of mine to compare with Oregon's....
You can see the LSL has a slightly different mounting system on it and it does clear the upper frame mount on OT's. It's also mounted a bit higher on the fork end as well which is allowed because OT has a different headlight bracket thus freeing up the space for the higher mount.
Mine is a Bella Corse, and as you can see by the picture, comparing it with the two screws on the frame joint, it would interfere with the sidecar mount if it were mounted on the right side....you can't get the front fork mounting any higher with the BC because of the headlight bracket on a stock bonnie...
conversely if you were to mount the LSL front fork bracket where the BC's front mount goes it would interfere with the different car mount on OT's bonneville...
The Bella Corse dampener cannot be mounted on the right side due to the rear bracket being one way only.
Now that we're all thoroughly confused, you have lots to compare with to guide your decision to get a dampener.:eeek:

DSCF1295.jpg

Last edited:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
On other thought, is having the damper on the left side allows you adjust it while riding (when you need it) rather than having to take your hand off of the throttle to adjust it.

koifarm

Hooligan
Leftys

On other thought, is having the damper on the left side allows you adjust it while riding (when you need it) rather than having to take your hand off of the throttle to adjust it.

Yet another reason I like the left side mounting....
So, can you mount the LSL dampener on the left?
The LSL is $399 plus shipping, the Bella Corse is $239.99 plus shipping...not a whole lot but $100 bucks is $100 bucks....

koifarm

Hooligan
Differential direction discretion!

crap i ment left! so sorry. i want a dampner but i want it on the left side...

Well, you have two good choices....no doubt both are good with different aspects. The BC damper has seven adjustments, I normally run on #2 for normal riding but if I get into rough roads I can notch it up one or two....I think the highest settings are for racing.
Bear in mind, I'm running a sidecar and am on three wheels.
OT can tell you all about the LSL one.
I can tell you that adjustment takes a bit of doing, there is very little fudge factor in the setup, you must be able to put the forks on the bike "lock to lock" but not bottom out the dampener. I had to play with it four or five times till I got it just right...
Not sure about the LSL.
Have fun, keep us posted on your choice.....
koi

Skeeter

Rocker
i want a dampner because here in PA we have some crap-tastic roads. a lot of those silly lines/grooves in the road that you hit while ridin and the bike wants to stay in the line/groove.

its really hard seein my tax money goin each week out of my check and then i ride on roads that have speed bumps and holes in them. sucks growin up