Starter issue

drmuonfunk

Scooter
I went for a long ride to VT this weekend. Everything was peachy until my last gas stop. I tried to start the bike and the starter clicked and the tack just spun. I was able to jump start it. When I returned home (Brooklyn NY) I was able to start it a few times and then it started to click again with out starting. Anyone have any insight if this would be a faulty starter motor or another particular part that needs to be replaced? I'd like to make the repair myself if possible.

Greatly appreciated in advance.

Roger

Street Tracker
What you are describing is typical of a loose connection or a battery that is draining fast. Measure battery first. With everything off, a newer battery should show you 12.5 to 12.8 volts. Older battery could show as low as 12.0 volts.

If battery is okay, check all your connections that they are tight. Pay attention to ground connections. Those are usually overlooked and can cause lots of very strange problems - hard starting, ignition miss, lights going out or dead bike altogether.

Once you have checked all your connections, turn the key ON and check the voltage at the battery again (headlight on). If it has dropped lower than 11.8, I would suspect the battery.

Roger

Street Tracker
Oh ya, important. While you are checking and wrenching on connections at starter or starter solenoid, disconnect the GROUND from the battery. You don't want to accidentally short a connector through the wrench or driver you are using.

marty

Scooter
Agree with Roger, check out the battery, I had same problem with my T100 some years ago. Turned out to be the battery.

drlapo

Hooligan
the one year old Autozone battery in my BMW just died: two weeks out of waranty
it will charge to 12.8 volts but dies as soon as a load is placed on it
a load test at the local shop shows it has expired
the previous battery lasted 7 years
go figure

Last edited:

fender

Street Tracker
I had a similar issue a couple of years back. The battery terminal wasn't tight. Haven't had a problem since. Hope your's is that easy to diagnose.

LoVel

Two Stroke
Exact same issue and like everyone else said, the battery terminal connection was loose.

Make sure your rubber strap is still in place. If broken or gone replace it. That was the reason my wife's connection came loose.