Starter-Head light relay

Shorty

Two Stroke
Had to replace my starter-headlight relay again this weekend on my 02 Bonnie. The second one in two weeks. Any ideas what could cause this?

Shorty

WetSparks

Scooter
To help, specifically why did you have to replace the relay. Burnt out contacts or non-functioning solenoid coil ??

Shorty

Two Stroke
WetSparks...it appears to be an issue with the contacts, however I'm not sure. I'll need to ohm-out the coil for an open and check the contacts for high resistance I guess.
This all coincidentally happened after I hit some pretty bad road surface bumps a few weeks back. At first I thought that the filaments in my head light went out due to the shock, but after replacing it I found the relay to be bad.

Shorty

WetSparks

Scooter
Sounds like a loose wire or bad earth time. It might be that a fault on the coil side of the relay is causing it to 'chatter', this will burn out the contacts as quick as anything.

Shorty

Two Stroke
Same type of non-stock headlight I've been running for years (it took over 4 years for the original relay to go bad). I've been using a sealed beam headlamp for years and really haven't had an issue that I'm aware of. However, you could be on to something. I got a spare relay just in case this time around.
By the way, the relay is not OEM but another 12V 40 Amp made by GP Sorensen which has the same pin-out and configuration as the stock unit. I might have also just gotten a bad relay before.

Shorty