Stalls following start up, when engine warm.

Sinkers

Scooter
Hi guys, I couldn't find any links to my problem on the site so I started a new thread. Apologies if it has been covered already.

I have a 2012 McQueen bonnie.

When I try to start the bike after a coffee stop of maybe 20 mins-half hour on a long journey she stalls. The bike turns over no problem, starter cuts out but it won't get up to idle speed then the engine dies completly. Holding the throttle slightly open makes the situation worse and it will stall quicker. The only way I have figured out to prevent it happening is to pull out the enricher (choke) half way to get her going. Once the revs get up to around 2,500rpm I kill the choke and it runs perfectly at approx 1,100rpm. It's like the engine is being starved of fuel.

I can hear the fuel pump kicking in when I turn on the ignition.

I have done no mods whatsoever to the bike, it is as it came from the factory.

Has anybody else encountered this or do I need to go back to the dealer for a warranty check?

Thanks.

drlapo

Hooligan
if the engine is still warm it should not need the idle speed enhancer (choke)
the ECU should take care of the idle speed
probalby shoud have it scanned by the dealer

if the engine is cold, however, the idle speed may need to be manually increased

Sinkers

Scooter
Thanks drlapo. I can start it no problem when its cold without the use of the choke. When its warm though its not that easy to start. I was thinking there could be dirt somewhere but where to start is the question. As you say it's under warranty so probably best to get it checked out by the dealer.

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about, but ...

Mine used to start and run from cold no problem, and start and run from hot with no problem. But, if I started it from cold, let it warm up so it's idling nicely with the "choke" in, and then go for a short ride, and then stop it, it would start again but not keep running with the "choke" in. Pull the "choke" out again and it would start and run again with no trouble. Leave it like that for 10-15 seconds while it sorted itself out, then push the "choke" back in and it would settle down to it's normal idle again. I just figured that the bike hadn't quite warmed up enough and the ECU was a bit confused at what to do with the restart. It never bothered me, I just considered it an interesting quirk, a part of it's charm if you like :C Maybe your 20-30 min coffee stop is enough for the bike to cool down to the same point?

A couple of notes:-
1. The "short ride" was only about 60 metres from my garage to the service station next door to home.
2. This was with a standard EFI Bonnie with TOR pipes and no other mods.
3. I've since modified the intake and exhaust and had a remap done, plus the service station next door has been pulled down, so I don't know if it still does it.

Last edited:

rogersbm

Scooter
Starting solution

I often have this problem with my 2010 SE, even after short runs to the petrol station. It happened before I put Staintunes on and continues to happen. Don't stress about it, there is no real 'problem'. The answer is definitely to follow what the owner's manual says and use the 'choke' every time. I can't explain why this works, but it does. Actually, the 'problem' was covered in this forum a few years ago and resulted in multiple suggestions. Forget them all but one - use the 'choke' and all will be well!

Demar

Two Stroke
When I try to start the bike after a coffee stop of maybe 20 mins-half hour on a long journey she stalls. The bike turns over no problem, starter cuts out but it won't get up to idle speed then the engine dies completly.

My 2010 T100 started perfectly, hot or cold, after sitting 20 minutes or 2 weeks, without the choke as it came from the dealer. After I removed the AI from the bike I encountered the problem you described. If I started it within 5 minutes of stopping, as in after fueling, it would start without the choke, but, if I let it sit for 20 minutes it would not start without the choke.

I'm guessing it might be some kind of vapor lock upon cooling.

I just use the choke when starting. Full choke when cold for about 5 seconds, then half choke for a minute.

I like to let it warm up for a few minutes when starting from dead cold.

If it's warm, after sitting for more than 20 minutes, then half choke to start works and I can push the choke in after only a few seconds.