Stalling and poor idle WTF!

airspro

Scooter
As a
old man who did the same stuff when he was young and stupid:(
the young have to have their learning curve just like we did :)

I like you have a parabellum Scout fairing on order , etc , wanted to send you a Private Message but can't on this board . I am a member of Triumph.net also . Give me a shout . I "think" we think alike hehe .

You guy's crack me up!
Lets see I'll take a perfectly running motor and screw around with some stuff I have heard makes it so sweet and give me at least x more horsepower.:shh: Heck it must be better than an enhancement product sold on TV.:chair:

Then when it stalls, runs poorly, or not at all you start asking questions about how to fix what ever.:huh:
Here's a bit of advice from an old man who did the same stuff when he was young and stupid:(
. Either figure out what exactly you want the thing to do , develop a base line and then do your modifications. Do the whole job, not a bit of this and a bit of that expecting results that are not going to be there. Or you could just ride it and enjoy it.

Craigore

TT Racer
Mostly pops (backfire?) in the carbs at idle when revving at a light or with clutch in while taking a turn and easing bak on the throttle. happens at least once a ride. Sucks too. A little popping from mufflers at decel but from what I hear that is pretty normal.

DandyDoug

750cc
airspro;

Tried to reply to you on your contact page from your profile, did not work for me either, but I am computer challenged.

my direct addy, [email protected]

I'm originally from MI. myself, but here in the south we keep that kind of quiet. :shh:

Mostly pops (backfire?) in the carbs at idle when revving at a light or with clutch in while taking a turn and easing bak on the throttle. happens at least once a ride. Sucks too. A little popping from mufflers at decel but from what I hear that is pretty normal.

hmm, that sounds like you're either a little lean on the idle mix or you could use a shim under your needles.

jewel

Scooter
You guy's crack me up!
Lets see I'll take a perfectly running motor and screw around with some stuff I have heard makes it so sweet and give me at least x more horsepower.:shh: Heck it must be better than an enhancement product sold on TV.:chair:

Then when it stalls, runs poorly, or not at all you start asking questions about how to fix what ever.:huh:
Here's a bit of advice from an old man who did the same stuff when he was young and stupid:(
. Either figure out what exactly you want the thing to do , develop a base line and then do your modifications. Do the whole job, not a bit of this and a bit of that expecting results that are not going to be there. Or you could just ride it and enjoy it.

I agree with you Doug, must have something to do with age:kiss: If you want something to tinker with then go and buy an old Bonnie and fiddle till your hearts content without stuffing too much up.

Jewel:)

drlapo

Hooligan
still sounds like an intake air leak to me
are the little rubber vacuum ports plugs in good shape?, tight carb clamps? intake intalke manifold rubbers?
all the usual stuff
my BMW R80 did the same thing and there was leak in the carb balance hose in the airbox

I have 1 shim currently. Maybe try 2? I adjusted the mixture screws to 1.75 turns with 42 pilot. Lets see if that works.

you will not need 2 shims. Check for intake leaks and/or play with the idle mix screws.

a good trick to test for intake leaks is to have the bike running on the sidestand, then spray either wd40, carb cleaner, etc (any flammable aerosol) around the carbs/intakes/etc. If the engine revs or stumbles when you spray you know you have an intake leak.

ssjones

750cc
Did you check the vacuum caps on the carb? They crack and suck air pretty regularly. In fact, good reminder to go out and check mine. They'll mess up the idle, etc. if they aren't solid.
For once, I took my own advice and checked my caps today. Sure enough, they were cracked and probably ready to leak any day. One had a hole in it, but odd, no idling problems, etc. It would have no doubt reared its head in a few weeks, when I ride to NY.....

Advance had some 5/32" (3, 96 mm) caps, 2 pack for $1.99. They're snug but fit. I probably out to replace them every two years or so.

Sandman

Scooter
For once, I took my own advice and checked my caps today. Sure enough, they were cracked and probably ready to leak any day. One had a hole in it, but odd, no idling problems, etc. It would have no doubt reared its head in a few weeks, when I ride to NY.....

Advance had some 5/32" (3, 96 mm) caps, 2 pack for $1.99. They're snug but fit. I probably out to replace them every two years or so.

Just a head's up: Be careful with those auto-parts plugs. They don't seen to have the inner ridge that 'pops' the cap into place. Mine blew off on start-up numerous times. I finally just used a 3/16" fuel line cut to about 4 inches and went from cap to cap on each side. That puppy isn't going anywhere!

Sandy

drlapo

Hooligan
the auto parts store (advance) vacuum caps are crap
they can dry out from engine heat in a week
I went the port to port with a hose route too

ivar

TT Racer
I went the port to port with a hose route too

Me too, 2 pieces of hose was supplied with the TPUSA ARK kit I put on. Those hoses had a tendency to pop off on the engine barbs, so I secured them with zip ties.

BTW, any advantages/disadvantages to using a hose vs caps?

Sandman

Scooter
Me too, 2 pieces of hose was supplied with the TPUSA ARK kit I put on. Those hoses had a tendency to pop off on the engine barbs, so I secured them with zip ties.

BTW, any advantages/disadvantages to using a hose vs caps?

I did some thread probing of my own before I used the hose and I cannot seem to find ANY negatives to it. If anything, I think it evened out my low end. (It may all be in my head though). But at least I don't have to worry about it any more.

Sandy

drlapo

Hooligan
the carbs on my T140 and my BMW R80 are linked with lengths of hose, stock, so maybe it does do something positive
I have them linked side to side on my Thruxton

ssjones

750cc
Just a head's up: Be careful with those auto-parts plugs. They don't seen to have the inner ridge that 'pops' the cap into place. Mine blew off on start-up numerous times. I finally just used a 3/16" fuel line cut to about 4 inches and went from cap to cap on each side. That puppy isn't going anywhere!

Sandy

Hey thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye on them. So you just jumped both plugs on the same carb (same side, carb plug to intake plug)? I've seen the cross jump from one carb to another. I tried that on my bike, but it didn't seem to idle smoothly.

Sandman

Scooter
Hey thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye on them. So you just jumped both plugs on the same carb (same side, carb plug to intake plug)? I've seen the cross jump from one carb to another. I tried that on my bike, but it didn't seem to idle smoothly.

I went from plug to plug on the same carb. That way, it seems, is the same as just capping them. If you still have idle issues, there may be other factors at play. I did notice some cracking on two of my caps that I took off. Have you adjusted your mixture screws accurately?

Sandy

ssjones

750cc
I went from plug to plug on the same carb. That way, it seems, is the same as just capping them. If you still have idle issues, there may be other factors at play. I did notice some cracking on two of my caps that I took off. Have you adjusted your mixture screws accurately?

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. My idle problems were a few years ago, after I linked the two carb plugs with one hose, resolved when I went back to caps.