Staintune for 2010 SE

rogersbm

Scooter
Has anyone fitted a mag wheel model [mine is a 2010 SE] with a Staintune exhaust system? I like the idea of getting it fitted with no changes necessary to the EFI but I have a Norman Hyde centre stand and wonder if the muffler will fit without any mods. I emailed Staintune and they said that they hadn't tested it with an aftermarket stand and don’t know if it will fit or not. Any ideas?

Last edited:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Staintune make these complaint to ADR for Australia and also with regard to the main question just email them on the site, I am sure that they will still fit but worth a check. They are nice pipes but there are better cheaper nicer sounding options contact carlos at triumphperformanceusa

Kind Regards Ben Dickens

rogersbm

Scooter
Thanks

Thanks Ben. I'll check that out and continue my investigations. You're right about the cost of the Staintunes! Cheers, Bill

rogersbm

Scooter
Backfiring with Staintunes

I went ahead with the Staintunes for my 2010 SE [they took two months to arrive!] and had them fitted by the Triumph/Staintune dealer this week, along with a remap they said was necessary [even though Staintune say it's not]. The pipes sound terrific - very sweet note, not too loud, in fact, just right. It burbles along at cruising speeds but has a lovely snarl under acceleration. I feel at last that I'm riding a real motorcycle. However, I now have a bad backfire problem on the over run. It's not just popping, it's a genuine, very loud [anti-social, actually!] backfire. I'll ring the dealer tomorrow to see what he says, but he's three hours' ride away,so if there's an easy fix, I'd love to know.

Is your air injection still operational? If it is, disable it and see if that helps. If it's already been blocked or removed, you may be sucking air into the exhaust.

rogersbm

Scooter
Staintune tell me that they tested the mufflers on a standard bike and it ran well, so maybe that's the answer - just go back to the standard map.

ThruxtonSE

Scooter
The Factory standard EFI map is already slightly on the lean side with the genuine exhaust fitted. As soon as you fit any aftermarket exhaust that allows the system to breathe better - your engine WILL be running too lean and WILL require an revised EFI map to correct the lean mixture. It would be interesting to know which EFI map has been loaded to your bike since the Staintunes have been fitted. Although I don't run Staintunes, I would suggest that the Arrow 2 into 2 map would probably be suitable.

As has previously been asked, has your air-injection (AI) system been disabled/blocked? If the AI is still in operation, it WILL cause loud backfires on deceleration as the unburnt fuel is ignited in the exhaust.

An exhaust leak close to the cylinder head can also cause backfiring on deceleration.

rogersbm

Scooter
Thanks for that. I haven't yet established exactly what map they did put in, apart from it being 'for aftermarket mufflers'. I'll work on that, though from what you say, if the AI is still operational, it will still backfire even with an a remap. I really don't want to disable the AI yet as I bought the bike new and it has a 24 months unlimited mileage warranty which I don't want to void. Having said all that, I'm still very happy with both the bike [it's very different from my 1967 Bultaco Metralla!] and the pipes and look forward to some sun this weekend. Cheers.