sseping cam cover gasket

phil

Street Tracker
Hey guys, has anyone experienced a small seepage on one the side of the cam cover? would this be a gasket issue, or maybe a tighten issue.. I only noticed that it was only the side.. I have a 2010 bonne se.. and if I need a gasket were could a person buy one.. thanks..

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This is a common problem and you will find all kinds of information on it with the search function. What I did to both my Bonnies to solve this problem were to order new cam cover crush washers...put the new ones right on top of the old ones...tighten them down to torque spec and you are good to go. It is not a gasket problem. I have done this to a '06 & '07 Bonnie and have had zero seepage problems.

Last edited:

MattRat

TT Racer
Hey guys, has anyone experienced a small seepage on one the side of the cam cover? would this be a gasket issue, or maybe a tighten issue.. I only noticed that it was only the side.. I have a 2010 bonne se.. and if I need a gasket were could a person buy one.. thanks..

like he said, common problem... but on a '10 you might still be under warranty.

BTW it's not new bolts you need, it's new rubber washer/gaskets that go under the bolts.

phil

Street Tracker
This is a common problem and you will find all kinds of information on it with the search function. What I did to both my Bonnies to solve this problem were to order new cam cover bolts...put the new ones right on top of the old ones...tighten them down to torque spec and you are good to go. It is not a gasket problem. I have done this to a '06 & '07 Bonnie and have had zero seepage problems.

cool, thanks guys.. I'm assuming you need to take off the tank, to do either..lol..

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
You will need to take off the tank just to get to the bolts. You shouldn't have to take the cam cover off though...back out the 4 bolts, put the new crush washers on top of the old ones and tighten back down. If you haven't done so yet, then your first after market investment should be the Haynes or Triumph owners manual. I really enjoy wrenching on my shit so I bought both...never hurts. It's a very simple job you have to do and you should have fun with it.

strokerlmt

Phil BO6tang is 100% right. This stuff is not that hard. Get the Haynes and some metric shit. Tank comes off easy....good time to clean and check wiring. You can also clean top of engine and carbs. Follow torque specs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use the search function here you will find lots of cool shit that shows you the abc's with pictures. Some of these guys do some detailed project maintenance shit here. When you look at the shit here then look at the Haynes it all makes sense.
Good ruck.....
LMT

And don't over-tighten the bolts: 10NM (old spec) or 14NM (new spec). I started with 10NM and new bolt seals after my valve adjustment and haven't had to tighten any further.

Over-tightening doesn't help anything and risks stripping out the cam cap threads that they go into.

T

ttbonnie

thats awesome advise.. i had mine done under warranty.. in 08.. now at 10k it started again.. off to get new washers..
cheers tt..

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Took my tank off the other day and found all 4 cam cover bolts loose. Went ahead and changed out the gasket and installed 4 new washers and No More leaks!
Amazing shit happens went everything is tight!

I just change out my cam cover,the dealer had the gasket and washers in stock,like the other guys said it is a simple job,especially if your just changing washers.