Sportster Rear Shocks?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I just lowered the front of the Bonnie 3/4" and the damn thing handles Awesome!! It's amazing...with the FlatTrack bars pulled back and low, and the front end lowered...the damn thing cuts through corners with such ease! I have not had any fender/rekitifiOR/horn issues, so I'm keeping it low...Looks good too...

So now I'm thinking of lowering the rear end...I have Thruxton rears on there now, and they are something like 15" long? They handle great...no problems, but I want to lower the rear and see how that feels. Luckily this is all easliy swapped over on the bike jack in about 20minutes...so If it doesn't work out...back to whatever? So my question(s)...Rodburner, you out there?

What model? year? legnth? should I use to lower the rear end BUT keep it functional? Yes, there is such a fine line...I've been there on many projects. I don't mind bumps here and there so long as the rear end is not bottoming out! Now, as many of you know...I ain't a small dude...I wear a size 15 wedding band, and I never ride two up. So...Will a Sportster 11 3/4" rear be too low? What are the Sporster shocks stock legnth? Adjust the chain?

Thanks everyone...:rocks: <----I Love this Damn smilie!
Cheers!
MONDO

ricky

Street Tracker
The reason your bike is handling so well is that you lowered the front and raised the rear. If you lower the rear, you will in fact be going back to the stock handling characteristics.
I don't know for sure how low you can go on the back but I wouldn't lower it more than 1" from stock.

rodburner

Rocker
Mondo,my Sportster [Progressive 412s] are the "light" 12-1/2".You were pretty much going rigid on it in Portland.. I`d say the Bonnie length 13-1/2" with the more manly spring option will drop the rear an inch and keep most if not all the handling you have now,plus that awesome 412 ride quality.Here`s an example.You will have to make some simple shims to sleeve the eyes down to our metric size.[beer can aluminum]
http://www.denniskirk.com/1/1/24984...n-13-5-chrome-412-series-shocks-4124009c.html
also the Progressive site lists those shocks in 1/2" increments from 11.5 to 15",chrome or black and with 5 or 6 spring weight options.

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
The reason your bike is handling so well is that you lowered the front and raised the rear. If you lower the rear, you will in fact be going back to the stock handling characteristics.
I don't know for sure how low you can go on the back but I wouldn't lower it more than 1" from stock.

Yeah...You're right, that's why I lowered it...for increased Turn-In, but every now and then I picture it low at both ends and dig what I think I see? Rodburner...thanks for the info...Denniskirk looks to be on my Christmas list this year...Now let's see about a more low profile seat?

Cheers!!
MONDO

rodburner

Rocker
1001046.jpg

rodburner

Rocker
oops,too "bobbery" for the purists.Now its more "cafe" mainstream.:finger2:
1001050.jpg

And yes,that tail piece is a shovel I broke yesterday.

RonD

Scooter
with my Ducaties raising the rear 25mm was the norm, to make a bike that handled like it was on rails even better the first thing you notice will be the steering will be so much lighter. We even transformed my sons bandit when we done it to it as well ,I agree lowering the rear you will probably be going back to where you were with less ground clearance ,food for thought?