Speedometer Error?

taw1126

Scooter
Anyone have an idea just how far off the indicated speed is on the Scrambler/Bonnie/Thruxton? I'm guessing as much as 10 mph at indicated speeds of 75 to 80 mph but I haven't packed my GPS along on a ride to verify that.

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Seems to be about 15%... gets worse as you go faster. May be somewhat worse on a Thruxton. I have a feeling that it is done on purpose to make you feel faster than you are... just my suspicious mind at work. If you do the GPS thing, let us all know.

dschief

750cc
I clocked my Thruxton against one of those radar signs, the kind they put up to let you know that you are speeding. At 60 indicated mph, the sign read 55, about a 9% error.

DIRK

750cc
no matter how much you spend for your bike, the speedo will be off. 5% or more seems to be not unusual. gps, clocked by a friend whatever. your speedo will be off. now find something else to complain about. but you will not get a ticket as fast yahoo!

dschief

750cc
Amen! Every vehicle I own has some kind of error, all of them optimistic (you aint going as fast as you think you is).

phil

Street Tracker
no matter how much you spend for your bike, the speedo will be off. 5% or more seems to be not unusual. gps, clocked by a friend whatever. your speedo will be off. now find something else to complain about. but you will not get a ticket as fast yahoo!

agreed! its just something else for someone else to complain about. If they made the triumph to perfect, it won't be real. lol cheer guys.:beer:

Nick Morey

Rocker
I don't think anyone was complaining, just stating fact. If there's anything to complain about it's the powers that be thinking we're stupid enough not to discover this. Personally, I could care less. :D

phil

Street Tracker
no that's cool. My speedo is out on my 2010 bonnie s.e. too. I just adjust to how I fast I feel like goin. Is it the wheel that makes the speedo off, or is it a technical problem from the factory.(my question mark doesn't work on my keyboard.)

DIRK

750cc
no that's cool. My speedo is out on my 2010 bonnie s.e. too. I just adjust to how I fast I feel like goin. Is it the wheel that makes the speedo off, or is it a technical problem from the factory.(my question mark doesn't work on my keyboard.)

no it is the way all of them make the thing work. :eeek:

nofate

Scooter
I did a speedometer check with my buddy who was riding a GPS equipped Goldwing. He set his cruise control to hold a steady 100 kph according to the GPS and I followed right behind him on my brand new Scrambler indicating 105 kph.

R17GSR

Scooter
I've noticed the same since I've had sat nav, all speedo's read 8-10% less that true. Finally proved the point when I got an ex police Pan european 1100. It has a calibrated speedo and matches prefectly the sat nav.
Ride free
Gary

Well I attached the Zumo today and in good old MPH the speedo reads about 5mph less than Zumo speed and the Zumo is darn accurate.
30mph = 25mphzumo 70mph = 65mphzumo work the percentage as you like.

knees in the breeze

07black&red

Two Stroke
There was a speedo correction kit available for my DL1000 but I never thought it was a big enough deal to spend the $ on. The safest speed for me on the freeway is determined by the flow of traffic I'm traveling with rather than a random number painted on a sign. Its kind of nice knowing that buffer is there. I have yet to get a ticket on my Bonnie. Weather that is due to its top cruising speed of 70 mph instead of the Suzuki's 120 or the fact that I'm older (somewhat wiser) I do not know.

Motley

750cc
I checked the speedo on my Thrux aginst a GPS yesterday. It was pretty much consistently optimistic by about 5 km/h. At the top speed (WFO) it was less than 5 km/h optimistic.

Granted I'm no featherweight but I could only manage 175 km/h or 110 mph.