Speedmaster battery questions

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Battery went dead the other day and while gaining access I came upon two things of interest (to me at least)

1 A torx screwdriver was needed for one of the screws rather than having to use an Allen key, is that normal? It seemed out of place :confused:

2 the negative wire was chaffed where it presses against the chrome (false) air filter housing. Is this normal or has my wire been routed wrong.

3 I could not find a reason for the battery being flat and wondered if the chaffed wire may have caused it.

The_Dog33

Scooter
Check your frame ground first, as well as put a meter on the battery while the bike is running and rev it to note any change. I mean to check where the ground wire from the battery attaches to the frame. Also clean and use electrical grease on both battery terminals and the wires on the solenoid.

Yes a Torx screw is correct for the top screw on the battery strap.

Your battery cable should not rub on the chrome part or any other part that would cause damage.

gilligan

Scooter
They also use torx fasteners on the chain guard. Went to put the Chrome one on my bike and realized I didn't have the correct torx driver. Had to go down to the hardware store and find one.