Spark plug coloring (pics)

zmilin

Street Tracker
Here are my plugs after todays ride. I had replaced my 40 pilots with 45s and initially was lean on one side and rich on the other. Made some adjustments and here is what I got today.
Im thinking about another 1/4 turn out. Thoughts?
2630619446_1856fd8df8.jpg

2630619390_630ae52918.jpg

Oh...almost forgot...that left plug got some antiseize on it while handling so its not damaged :)

The_Dog33

Scooter
Those plugs look pretty darn good to me. Your mixture is very close and I wouldn't mess with it myself.

zmilin

Street Tracker
bike runs great. Im very happy with it. No popping, great idle, great power. Mileage is good to great depending on how Im twisting the right hand.

mikenva

Rocker
I will make a bet with you if you go by plug color with the gas we have now you will be way to rich.Get it on a dyno and you will see.most gas now a days has alcohol in it .When you have mixture right with alcohol plugs look allmost clean ( you would think there lean when there not)I bet yours is in the 12 to 1 a/f range with those plugs.This is not the same gas we use to run.
When you are on the rich side its harder to tell your off then on the lean side being rich will make it feel good on the bottom end and it can fool you,burn alot more gas and kill the hp on top end.
By nature these bikes go rich on the top anyway.

Last edited:
Mike is 100% right. If those plugs were new this morning,then you are way too rich.You can only take a reliable plug reading with brand new plugs,and then,with modern fuels,it will only really tell you much if it's rather extreme.

That is a cool website,but it's dated,as are the pix in the manuals,even new manuals.It's just not a very reliable method,at least for A/F ratio,anymore.

Not that you shouldn't look at the plugs.You can tell other things about your engine by looking at them,such as condition of the rings,etc.

To get any kind of a useful reading you've got to start with new plugs.Any deposits on them will not burn off. About the closest thing to what you should see with new plugs,and a proper "chop" is #23

Cheers!
Bruce

mikenva

Rocker
bruce thats very true and allso if your checking main jets by plug readings if you had real gas ,you would run it wot to near top end then cut it off and coast to a stop and take your readings.just by looking at plugs you dont know what part of the carb is lean or rich,normal everyday rideing you dont even use the mains that much cause you dont run wide open much.