side number plates

Craigore

TT Racer
Hi folks, I have decided to go with some "side number plates" in lieu of the plastic side covers that came with our bikes.

I know that bc are making them now on the cheap but I'm more a fan of "DIY" (aka I'm a cheap ass). There are some venders on fleabay who have just the plates for about $13/each... I'm looking for some pictures on how these are are usually mounted to our bikes using the stock mounting locations. I was then going to use the pictures as visual reference to make my own brackets out of "bendy aluminum" (ruler + calculator + torch + bench vice + beer + time + patience) and then welding them to the plates as needed.

Or I'm willing to buy some if someone just so happens to have any for sale. But I'd like pictures either way! :piss::piss::piss::piss::piss:

I was originally going to go for the "see through" look, but I don't really care for the empty space up underneath the seat, plus I am not particular enough to hide all the stuff under there.

Last edited:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
If I get the chance tomorrow I'll try to get some pics of how my MAS sidecovers attach. It's very simple. This is MAS - http://www.masengineering.it/ and they make some cool stuff.

The aluminium covers are domed and have a flat bar welded inside that bolts to a bracket. The bracket is a simple design which hooks over the same two lugs as the plastic one and bolts to the frame in a similar way to the stock covers.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Ok here ya go. Firstly both plates from above:

sidecover0002copy.jpg

You can see how they attach via brackets to the same lugs as the stock covers do. The left cover uses the same side screw but the right cover uses the rear brake MC bolt:

sidecover0004copy.jpg

sidecover0003copy.jpg

And here is the inside showing the bracket bolted onto a welded bar attached to the cover.

sidecover0005copy.jpg

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Ok here ya go. Firstly both plates from above:

You can see how they attach via brackets to the same lugs as the stock covers do. The left cover uses the same side screw but the right cover uses the rear brake MC bolt:

And here is the inside showing the bracket bolted onto a welded bar attached to the cover.

I can tell you that the engineering of the bracket (appears) to be superior than what BC sells. The MAS looks like a great product but a pricey for some of us.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I can't remember where I got them but they weren't as pricey as I have seen them at some places. Yeah I have seen the BC side covers and they look ok, but not as nice as these. The MAS stuff is pretty good. The MAS front fender I got is perfect for my bike - I can't think of a better piece.