side cover fit problem after NH rearset install

Craigore

TT Racer
I'm having problems with my right side cover after installing NH rearsets on the bonneville. fits really tight but is not jeopardizing brake power. added those washers as suggested, but did not move the banjo bolt.

I know people that have installed these have had similar problems.. what did you guys do?

Other than that, I love the look and position. Going to be even more awesome when I get my clip-ons soon..

strokerlmt

I really like the NH rear sets. They are solid unlike some of the other makes. Just looked at my install and the side cover is tight but doesn't interfere. I also have a modified side cover that exposes the KN and that lets the rear master have a little more space.
LMT

Craigore

TT Racer
Agreed, they are awesome. 2 hour install. Instructions suck but easy enough to figure out on your own. I think I'm goin to mess around a little bit more and get that cover fitting right. I was kind of in a rush to finish and ride

loxpump

Rocker
I also love my NH rear sets. I have recently adjusted the shifted to lower it a bit. No problem with the side covers, but since I lowered my shifter it sometimes catches on the adjuster rod end on downshifts. It looks like the knob sticking out catches at times. I guess I could grind it off flush.
shifter1.jpg

shifter3.jpg

Also is mine the only one with the same threads on each end of the adjuster rod? To lengthen or shorten it you have to remove the end. Would have been easier if one end had left hand threads. Then you could just loosen the lock nuts and turn the rod in or out.

strokerlmt

I put blue tape all over the side covers....then I used some tupperware lids....don't tell my wife....and created the curves ......then I drank two beers.....then I fired up the dremel took a deep breath and started to cut.........I had the old metal covers....have not done this with the new plastic fantastic's.......if you are real careful and sand the edge well you can brush on some black paint on the bare edge......

LMT

neuroboy

750cc
i have the LSLs and, after a little dremel-ing to widen the opening at bottom edge of the side cover, the entire assembly fit under the cover.

Craigore

TT Racer
-2.jpg

That's what mine looks like. I know that linkage part is not completely on the shifter dealie but maybe you should try switching that part around to give you more clearance. Mine is the installed the opposite of yours.

Last edited:

loxpump

Rocker
-2.jpg

That's what mine looks like. I know that linkage part is not completely on the shifter dealie but maybe you should try switching that part around to give you more clearance. Mine is the installed the opposite of yours.

Thanks I'll try that. After seeing yours I may have mine backwards.

Craigore

TT Racer
hey I'd suggest not grinding down that piece that's protruding, it's probably just slipped from inside of the rubber over time from the vibration. Try forcing it back in with some channel locks. let me know how everything works.

loxpump

Rocker
hey I'd suggest not grinding down that piece that's protruding, it's probably just slipped from inside of the rubber over time from the vibration. Try forcing it back in with some channel locks. let me know how everything works.

Good point, thanks!

dbacher06

Scooter
I have LSL rearsets and the rear brake level was rubbing against the inside of the right side cover. I taked up the side cover and broke out the dremel. Grinded down just a little bit and clearance is not longer an issue. I then took a little bit of automotive paint and touched up where i had grinded away so the exposed metal wouldnt rust. Works like a charm.

neuroboy

750cc
I have LSL rearsets and the rear brake level was rubbing against the inside of the right side cover. I taked up the side cover and broke out the dremel. Grinded down just a little bit and clearance is not longer an issue. I then took a little bit of automotive paint and touched up where i had grinded away so the exposed metal wouldnt rust. Works like a charm.

easier for my because my side cover is plastic