Shoei RF-1100 helmet

jfenton

Scooter
I have this new helmet that Shoei just came out with. It is much improved over the RF-1000. It has more vents and flows air really well. It is pretty quiet and does not move on your head when you turn your head in the wind. So far it has been the best helmet I have had. Highly recomend it.

Sean_D

Scooter
Well... I wrote a very nice review of this helmet adding to that which was already posted by jfenton. Apparently I must have written too nice a review as the system logged me out (for inactivity) and lost the review when I logged back in. I am not going to re-write the entire review.. so to summarize:

Pros - Well ventilated, well constructed, quality fit and finish. CW-1 shield is taller and wider offering improved field of view. Q.R.S.A. (Quick Release Self-Adjusting) Base Plate System pulls the shield tight to the gasket when closed for improved weather seal. Pinlock system for CW-1 is improved and like the shield is higher and wider and no longer has the gap at the top. 5 Shell sizes for improved fit. Meets the new Snell M2010 standard.

Cons: Top vents are stiff and slick and are difficult to operate with a gloved hand. Helmet is generally quiet, but can whistle under the "right" conditions if you turn your head to lane check etc. Both small cons.

Summary: I would say this helmet is more evolutionary than revolutionary. If you are happy with your current lid by all means keep it, but if you are in the market for a new lid I would add the RF-1100 to the short list.

schnabba

Two Stroke
the chin vent is easier to operate. The vent option for the visor is much better - holds it open just a tiny bit.... noise levels about the same as the RF-1000 (for me anyway).

The RF-1000 rear spoiler would sometimes come loose (2 sided tape works) - this one doesn't have one, so no worries.

The pinlock shields for the RF-1100 are MUCH better than for the RF-1000 - larger area, better visibility.

AceT100

Rocker
Ideally, how often should helmets be changed ?

If you drop it....Immediately :rtfr:

Otherwise, we always recommended every 4-5 years... The liner deteriorates after a while & the foam can start to rot. I used to sell em for many years.

Last edited:

Bongo111

Scooter
If you drop it....Immediately :rtfr:

Otherwise, we always recommended every 4-5 years... The liner deteriorates after a while & the foam can start to rot. I used to sell em for many years.

Thanks for that. I've had mine about 15 years !