Shinko 712

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I need a new back tire, and I cannot get the Avon Roadriders again because my bike gets the dreaded high speed wobble.

Short on funds right now I found the Shinko 712 at Motorcycle Superstore for $60. Does anyone have any experience with this tire on a Bonny? I have to do something pretty soon.
Also, anyone running a 130/90/17 rear tire?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6205/ITEM/Shinko-712-Rear-Tire.aspx

633039364951993750712Rear.jpg

Last edited:
I ran a 130/90 Sport Demon until I replaced it recently. No problem with the size, and it makes it easier to get the bike on the center stand. It almost touched the garage floor with the bike on the center stand, but not a problem.

Now I have a Dunlop GT501 140/80 on it, which is a little bit shorter.

My Shinko

I read sometime back that Shinko bought Yokahama motororcycle tire manufacturering when they quit making M/C tires . I replaced a set of Laser tecs that were gone in 5000 miles with Shinkos. I have 3500 miles on them now and they don't show any real wear yet.

They make my bonnie turn in just a tiny bit faster but for the way I ride, they are near perfect. Plenty of grip, good ride, no problems with rain grooving on freeways, and no speed wobble at the speeds I've had them to.

I don't do track days nor ride aggressively in the mountains sooooo, how Shinkos perform in those circumstances, I have no idea.

I think think they are the best "bang" for the $$$. I LIKE 'EM

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thanks guy. I guess I will find out, I ordered the tire for $65 including shipping and I will report/review after I have ridden on it for a while.

I just can't keep riding on this bald back tire and I have to do something NOW.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Got the Shinko 712 yesterday. So 3 days and $60.

Put it on myself today with 3 Harbor Freight Tire Irons I bought for $4 each. So I am out $72. Was easy to mount. Went for a ride and the tire felt pretty good. I will review them in a few weeks after I have " scrubbed " them in.

DSCN0610.jpg

henrys

Street Tracker
I need a new back tire, and I cannot get the Avon Roadriders again because my bike gets the dreaded high speed wobble.

What size tire were you using? I just switched to a stock size (130/80/17) avon roadrider and it's perfect. I did get wobble on an over sized battlax (140/80/17). I'm on a mag wheel bike btw.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Short on funds right now I found the Shinko 712 at Motorcycle Superstore for $60. Does anyone have any experience with this tire on a Bonny? I have to do something pretty soon.
Also, anyone running a 130/90/17 rear tire?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6205/ITEM/Shinko-712-Rear-Tire.aspx

633039364951993750712Rear.jpg

Just curious buddy.....you should not have a wobble ????
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
No, it was a stock size roadrunner.
On the back wheel of my bike, there have never been any weights. Just put the dot by the valve stem and she is usually good. When the RR gave me trouble I took it in and had it balanced and they said it was fine.

My main reason for choosing the Shinko was cheapness - it was $60 vs $126 for the same size Avon.So far I have not felt any wobbles at all. So far the tire feels good. The price certainly does.

Last edited:

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Be interested to see how it goes. My bud put that brand on his Tiger and killed them at 4000 miles. We get 6000 or so out of Michelins.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Yeah, I'm not expecting them to be perfect. I had to do something, and cheap. I am really afraid of bald tires on a bike. On the other end of the price spectrum - my dealer quoted me a set of stock tires installed for $550

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I bought a wheel stand from HF for about $50 and got some tire levers locally. It's super easy to balance them with some old fashioned tire weights. Good job on doing your own tires...it's not hard at all and it's crazy the price a shop will charge for something like that. It ranks right up there with how much they charge for a simple oil change. We can save quite a bit of scoots just by doing these two simple things on our own. I always buy whatever tires on special and ride through all seasons...I think there is a lot of hype in tires unless you are racing on a track.