Securing helmet to bike while I go off wandering?

Hughesy

Scooter
Well, it's a beautiful 24 deg(C) today. Not a cloud in the sky and being a Friday, it's POETS day (Piss Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday). So I think I'll go for a scoot in the hills and finish at a MC shop to pick up a D-lock for my helmet. I know everyone usually just leaves them on the handlebars, but in some locations, I just don't trust people.
Does anyone have any other ideas re: securing helmet to bike??

MattyMo

moped
Saw a thread about this recently. Many solutions.
Several people said they just used a small keyed lock on their clutch or brake lever. Slid the helmet D rings on the lever, locked into place. The bob thing on the end of the lever keeps things there.
*not sure if it would work for me as it could be full of water or have become a bird's nest when I got back

Last edited:

squidsix

Scooter
I use handcuffs through the D-ring and round the riser. People who steal stuff (generally) don't have handcuff keys. People with handcuff keys (generally) don't steal stuff.

fender

Street Tracker
I use one of the Kuryakyn license plate helmet locks. It works well.

35920_1.jpg

doger5

moped
You can buy a cheap disk lock on ebay , lock your bike rotor and loop in your helmet.
Works great there cost $ 3.50

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I use an inexpensive cable lock. Loop it through the D-rings, then through any point on the bike.

opplanet-master-lock-14-inch-cable-lock-99dspt.jpg

I hang the helmet on the right side handlebar and then run a keyed masterlock through the D-ring and around the mirror post. Of course this can be defeated by removing the mirror but it works for low-risk areas.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I use one of those D ring lock thingies that uses a combination code and hangs off the rear grabrail.

works ok, no stuffing around with keys and hanging off mirrors that twists them in the process.

also having a dirty, grotty looking helmet deters most thieves. who would want to pinch one of those; would be like wearing someone elses dirty jocks

Blue-J

moped
I use a ski lock, which is a long wire with a combination lock at the end (see links for pics). It does not take much space, and the thin end fits through the D-ring of a helmet, and as a bonus you can also thread it through the sleeve of your jacket and lock it to the bike as well. I do this in public places where I doubt someone has wire-cutters with them.

While travelling in hot summer, when I want to go visiting a museum or scenic attraction en route, I will lock my jacket and helmet to the bike with the ski lock. If it's really hot, I take off and lock my mesh bike pants (I wear shorts under!) and I take my boots off and put them on the seat and change into sandals. I then throw a very thin bike cover over it all. Nobody yet has had the guts to take a cover off a bike in a public place.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...imYXn3ZIzasxLGXi1GRPR3RznA6D08JPEzIOK3OxJnhsO

http://media.rei.com/media/bb/73097324-c7fb-47a3-8cd3-8f17e3aa41af.jpg

Last edited: