say hello to my little friend

Actually, I remember seeing this pic before and said it looked like a scene from a Tarantino flick. - slowgator

Hahaha! Nail on head- exactly! I knew there was something about that picture.

Jeff - I wonder if you can run LINUX on it?

If you haven't used it- LInux (Ubuntu) is great and doesn't corrupt or get viruses but otherwise its the same as XP.

I've never used/seen/had any experience with Linux. I'm not terribly computer savvy but I get by ok.

yellowrubiu

Street Tracker
Jeff - I wonder if you can run LINUX on it?

If you haven't used it- LInux (Ubuntu) is great and doesn't corrupt or get viruses but otherwise its the same as XP.

HP actually sells a version of it with LINUX, not sure if it is the same as what you mentioned above but it is definitely some flavor of LINUX.

T-boy

Rocker
The Ubuntu is probably the easiest linux distro to use once setup the way you like it. Only prob with many of the new releases of Linux systems is that they don't play many media file types out of the box.

"In the United States and many other countries, companies or developers or manufacturers must pay patent royalties to use an MP3 player or MP3 Encoder or Windows movie decoders. There is also conflicts between patent licenses and the licenses of application source code, so mp3 support is not provided out of box. This has been done for legal reasons. No one wants to get sued for breaking patent laws. Most of these drivers are "restricted" because they are not available under a completely Free license."

There is a package called Ubuntu Restricted Extras that can be installed that solves that issue. Other than that it's a great operating system.

Hedge

American Infidel
Nice laptop Jeff! You are now officially an IT GEEK! Welcome! :D
You could burn Knoppix to a DVD and run the whole OS from that but I would just keep it simple and run good old XP Pro with Service Pack 3 on it. Windows 7 beta is out already and I have virtualized a machine with that new OS and it is slick as cat shit!

I'm back from Vegas after 2 weeks at the Microsoft Bootcamp - it was fucking brutal! It was a very humbling experience showing me exactly how much I didn't know! I failed the first 2 exams 290 & 291 and freaked out. I then gathered it up with the help of the instructor and started to prep for the exams differently and think the Microsoft way and avoid their squirrel traps. I passed the next 4 exams - 293,294,297 & Vista client. I now have to circle back and retake 290 & 291 and an elective and I will be a fully certified Microsoft Geek! :d
BTW - that was an awesome picture of your bike with the bags and the old car! Whoever said Tarintino flick was 100% spot on!

ivar

TT Racer
I've never used/seen/had any experience with Linux. I'm not terribly computer savvy but I get by ok.

I've tried installing Ubuntu on a couple old laptops (Toshibas) at work, the install process is IMO more streamlined and easier than Windows.

And, there's always a forum nearby to find help.

One Linux distro thats pretty amazing is DSL (Damn Small Linux), a tweaked-down version to be so small that it fits within 50MB - or the size of a credit card CD. Boots from CD and contains most applications one would need.

And, the Knoppix live CD have saved me from trouble a few times. Had a laptop at work where the Windows install were FOOBAR. Booted from the CD, then copyed the users data files to an USB hard disk.