Rugby League State of Origin

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Just finished watching the Rugby League State of Origin match between New South Wales and Queensland in which, I'm sorry to say, Queensland defeated NSW 16-12. It is the first of a 3 game series and maybe the "Blues" can get up over the "Maroons" in the next one. This one was very close with Qld. scoring in the last 3 minutes to rack up the win.

The match was broadcast in many countries around the world but, according to the match commentators, Russell Crowe played some part in having the game shown for the first time in the U.S. on the Fox Sports channel.

I would be interested to hear any comments from anybody who may have seen the game. It is an annual institution here on the east coast of Australia when these two States clash.

Wobbly (a dyed-in-the-wool Blues supporter)

whyme

TT Racer
I wish I had seen it! Rugby is becoming very popular in my area with kids. Both of my girls play in a flag league...(I know..but they are only little and too cute to tackle.) Here is a link

http://morrisrugby.org/

It's really gaining in popularity in the US I believe. Last year they set some type of Guiness world record for kids playing rugby at a festival.

Rugby and Australian rules Football players make NFL players look like a bunch of sissies. Like to watch both. Don't understand the rules of either.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The guys with the funny hats and cooler coats make no sense to me.

But they're played without pads so I might concede they're both a rougher game.

But the NFL is still my Sunday cup of tea and always will be.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Rugby and Australian rules Football players make NFL players look like a bunch of sissies. Don't understand the rules of either.

There are four codes of football played in Australia. They are Rugby Union, Rugby League, Australian Rules football and Soccer (Now officially known here as just plain "Football".)

Rugby Union, also known by those who play or follow it, as the "game played in Heaven". Was the original form of the type of football played with an oval ball. More players on the field and when a player is tackled with the ball he must release it whilst on the ground for one of his team mates to pick up and continue advancing the ball up the field to score a "try" (like a touchdown but the ball must be placed on the ground in the in-goal area with a downward pressure of the hand). There is no tackle count and the team in possession controls the ball until they score or unless they fumble the ball (knock-on) or the ball or the player carrying the ball goes out over the sideline. The "scrum" in Rugby Union is a means by which certain members of the opposing team pack down in a pushing contest to get possession of the ball when it is fed into the middle of the scrum by one member of one of the teams. In Rugby Union and Rugby League the ball is always passed in a backward direction, never forward. RU is very popular in New Zealand and the NZ All Blacks are arguably the best team in the world in this form of the game.

Rugby League is a hybrid form of Rugby Union with the main difference being when a player is tackled in possession of the ball, he must be released by the tackler, get to his feet and "play the ball" to a member of his team who stands behind him, by raking the ball backwards with his foot. That player picks up the ball and attempts to advance it towards their try-line. A try in RL is scored in the same method as in RU. A RL team has only 5 tackles when they are in possession of the ball to attempt to score a try. After the 5th tackle, they must kick the ball down the field or kick it over the side-line but not on the full. It must bounce inside the field of play first before going over the line. Metres are gained by this method.
RL is played in Great Britain and New Zealand, particularly in the north of England and Auckland in NZ.
To play State of Origin RL for Queensland or NSW, you must have commenced your football career in that state. You may have been born in Fiji, Samoa or Tonga but if you started your football in Brisbane, you can play for Qld. In Rugby League, Australia excells.

Australian Rules or Aussie Rules is played with an oval ball but is very similar to Gaelic Football which is played with a round ball. In Aussie Rules, the ball can be passed forward or back but must be punched with a closed fist or kicked. Scoring is by kicking the ball between 4 posts at each end of the field. 4 points if you kick it between the middle two posts and 1 point between the outer two. Don't know too much more about the rules of this game but I have always known it by it's derogatory name of "aerial pingpong". Aussie Rules is played mostly within Australia.

Soccer is soccer. The "World Game". Nuff said.

In Australia, the code of football one follows is dictated by where one lives.
If you live in Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth or Hobart, you play and/or follow Aussie Rules, you just do!
If you live in Sydney or Brisbane, you play and/or follow Rugby League and to a lesser extent, Rugby Union. Typically, if you ever attended a University and hold a Uni. degree in something or another, you've played Rugby Union whilst you were studying. R.L. is looked down on by those guys who have letters after their name.

That's an abreviated explanation of the football codes popular in Australia. It's a shame the State of Origin game was not promoted more in the U.S. but then again, Russell Crowe is a bit of a wanker!

Last edited:

Grassy53

Scooter
That's an abreviated explanation of the football codes popular in Australia. It's a shame the State of Origin game was not promoted more in the U.S. but then again, Russell Crowe is a bit of a wanker!

Rusty is from NSW via New Zealand :) Go the Maroons

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
To be fair to Russell "Rusty" Crowe, the State of Origin telecast possibly coincided with Oprah's farewell show. I'd be guessing that no way was anybody in the US going to miss that!

Grassy53

Scooter
Thought I might have got a bite there. :D
It is a great contest between states, mostly carried out with good humour except on the field. If any one in the USA has a chance to watch it, its worth it just to see the hit ups (big guys running flat out at each other) and the occasional punch up.

JRMSR

Scooter
They use to show Austrilian Rules Football on ESPN and the Sports Channel. Loved it! During my tours in Europe we played Rugby and also hosted the Intra Service and CISM Rugby Championships at Wright Patterson AFB.

Pilots couldn't play as they were getting injured to often and placed on non-flight status. They really didn't give a crap about us noncoms and it was a good way to stay in shape. I played Scrum half and Fly half. Can't do it anymore. My old bones just won't take it. Hell of a game though.

I try to follow the "All Blacks," when I can.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Thought I might have got a bite there. :D
It is a great contest between states, mostly carried out with good humour except on the field.

No bite from me Grassy. Once upon a time, I may have revved up over the outcome of a game but not anymore. (Check out my signature)
I'm just happy to see a good close game and that's what we got last Wed. night.

Next S of O, the Blues have got to figure out how to stop the Lockyer/Thurston/Slater machine.

Some things don't matter much, most things don't matter at all.

Last edited:

Bongo111

Scooter
State of Origin

Here in the UK, TV coverage of Rugby League is mainly done by SkySports and a bit by the BBC. It's mainly played in the north of England, but is now the fastest growing sport in Britain, and played at some level in most parts of the country now. As for the Origin game, an absolutely fantastic spectacle, the intensity of which acts as good preparation for the Four Nations Test series to follow, and something the British game is trying to replicate with the England v Exiles game. As far as I'm concerned, Rugby League is the greatest game of all ! I'll definately be watching both remaining matches... Let's hope NSW win the next two !

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
NSW 18 def Qld 8

I know I said I don't get revved up over the outcome of a game...I LIED!

What a great game tonights second State of Origin was!!! All the more because NSW won and the 3 game series is 1-1.

Game 3 in Brisbane in a few weeks and the blues have got their backs up. Look oout Maroons. Can't wait.