round tube swing arm

rodburner

Rocker
Easy to say,simple to mentally design and a pain in the ass to make,so far.. But,made some progress between rain storms.
Picture1315.jpg

Will have to get a couple sleeves made to match the Bonnies axle to the bigger adjusters from the lowly '74 CB450 parts bike that donated its arm ends/adjusters. And tomorrow,I toss the coin to see if this arm goes mono shock or twin shocks.

nohawk

Rocker
Looks like good beefy welds Steve, did you bevel up the joints at the pivot/box section and do a bead, filler and then cap it? I think you'd have to turbo that thing to warp it. Both shocks IMO and the axle plates from the Honda look like lizards eating the tubes or am I really seeing things

Skeeter

Rocker
axle plates from the Honda look like lizards eating the tubes or am I really seeing things

nope i def see it too, looks like a lizard.

that swing arm looks awesome dude.... notin more fun that fabercating something for shits and gigles just to see if you can make it

rodburner

Rocker
Yeah,they are kinda reptilian. They probably won't get used in the end,since they are only 1/4" thick in the axle slot sections.I have 2 chunks of 1/2"x 2-1/2" that I'll use instead,and use the proper sized adjusters from my '78 Kz650 remnants. I like the old school style adjusters better,because you just loosen the nut and turn the bolt,in a normal fashion and re-tighten the nut. No more of that fancy factory ass backward tightening mess. As far as stiffness,the tubes are 1-1/2" DOM with .120 walls and will have some gussets at the bends and tie ins. Oh,and the coin toss favored the mono shock. But don't worry Hawk,I have some 1"DOM,w/.120 wall and 3 more box sections to destroy.:D

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Anybody who can create something like that is my kind of guy.
Looking forward to seeing it installed.
Thanks for sharing.
Did you make any kind of fixture to ensure the arms are the same length and pivots are parallel...or is it all free hand?

Flaco

750cc
Cool! I love your ideas and follow through with your mods!
Can't wait to set it mounted in action!
Real bikes are built in the garage!

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
Putting this project on hold for a while. Getting frustrated with the weather,material delays and some other shit going on... So,slipped the plain extended swing arm back on,built a new rear frame section and went back to twin shocks. The down sides of a mono shock on a lowered bike were just to much to overcome,and that fat swing arm threw off the balance of the bike. The tank is ready for gas though..
Picture1324.jpg

Picture1325.jpg

rodburner

Rocker
Thanks LMT. I moved the new upper mounts toward the back,so I could use my 13" Progressives and keep the angle from being so severe,Got back that much needed inch of ground clearance too.