Rider Missing in Montana....info

EDG1911

Street Tracker
I just saw this on ADVrider.com and thought I'd post it here since there at least a few in MT and the surrounding area:

Info from ADV:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506305

HELP - Rider Missing in Montana!! 8/31/09
PLEASE CROSS-POST to forums where folks might be in the area......
(It's already on ADV, Pashnit, ST-Owners, Concours, Harley CVO, MySuzuki, MagnaMotorcycles, BonnevilleOwnersClub, Sport-Touring.net, Beginnerbikers)

There's a thread in the Regional Forums here on ADV but folks were concerned that it's kind of buried and most of the inmates wouldn't see it so I'm risking being chastised and placing this notice here and in JoMamma (sorry mods - try not to be too harsh!)

This is an on-going search and help is still needed as of 9/14/09

From the Pashnit forum on 9/7/09:
Quote:
Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at 208-476-4521.

His credit card shows his last gas fill-up in Lolo, MT on the afternoon of August 31.

He was last seen on a traffic cam in Darby, MT at ~4:30p.m. MST on 8/31

Last outgoing cellphone call was ~4:30p.m. MST on 8/31 (coinciding with Darby, MT)

Everyone in the area of Lolo Pass please be on the look out for a possible crash site.

Here's more info from the ST-Owners site along with links to the Pashnit forum:

ST-Owners has put out a call for a search (and cross-posting of details).
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72221
This thread has the FACTS regarding the current search area and what is actually happening.

ST-Owners has a second thread for DISCUSSION and BRAIN-STORMING of ideas:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72440

There is also a FACEBOOK group with frequent up-dates:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135807631572

FAQ:
CCs & Bank info - has been checked out thoroughly - last usage was in Lolo, MT on 8/31 for gas. Last sighting, via traffic cam, was in Darby, MT at ~4:30 MST on 8/31

cell phone ping - yes, it's been tried, no luck

cell phone records - yes, they've been checked but there is very limited and often no service in the area. Last known call out was ~4:30 MST - possibly coincides with the Darby traffic cam sighting.

GPS ping - GPS are receivers, not transmitters, no luck

Air search - Montana Pilots Association and local charter companies have been notified to be on the look out but, so far, no volunteers to search

Civil Air Patrol - yes, they know but can't do anything until an official Law Enforcement request

Search and Rescue - yes, they know but also can't do anything until an official Law Enforcement request

Why no LE request of SAR & CAP - unknown at this time

Medical conditions or depression - none known by family

Hunters and hikers - information is being forwarded to folks in the area

Campgrounds and hotels - all in area have been contacted, no luck

Bike condition - 2008 Goldwing, no known mechanical issues but known to be fully loaded (and a riding buddy reported it as over-loaded). Yellow and black dry bags on the passenger seat. Camping gear, etc.

more info with pics and a map at advrider link above

Good reason to buy a GPS tracker (SPOT, etc...) on long trips.

I was thinking the other day as I rode through Sierra Mtns passes, alone... if I went over that edge (no guardrail even, 100's to 1000's ft drop), no one would know where the heck I was to even start to look. Hope it turns out OK...

EDG1911

Street Tracker
This was posted a while ago on BonnevilleAmerica.com

Rider has been found!

Re: Search for Donald Masters-MT area (Facts Only)
It is with a heavy heart that I bring you the news.

Donald Masters has been found at a crash site on Rt 93 around mile marker 322.1 between North Fork, ID and Salmon, ID

Donald and his bike were spotted by Elk hunters that were out tracking a buck. There was about 150' of shoulder and then a steep drop off into a drainage irrigation ditch. The are was covered in thick brush. He was wearing his helmet.

Out of respect to the family and loved ones we will be closing this thread and creating a Memorial Page to Donald where you can share some kinds words with everyone.

My thoughts and Prayers are with the family.

Rest in Peace Donald Masters.
Larry Jensen
on behalf of the Motorcycle Community

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72221&page=21