Rewiring Project

Bonniebret

Rocker
LMT, the headlight is a 5 3/4" Bates-style chopper center mount. I got it from Dime City Cycles. The center mount bracket is from British Customs.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Everything works! Now it's just a matter of massaging all the wires into place under the tank and seat. Did a test fit and everything fits albeit tight. Tomorrow it's coming down off the bench so I can double check the turning/reach of the wiring up front then trimming the excess "fat" off the harness under the seat.

ovuh.jpg

Starter solenoid was relocated to the front of the battery boxes and relays next to the CDI...

dkyq.jpg

"Fat" to be trimmed off...

fvm1.jpg

None of this shit manners...

cmwa.jpg

Bonniebret

Rocker
You da man.......I like what you have done. Nice job......
Lmt

Thanks. That said today I got it all put back together, fired it up, dropped it in gear and it died. Shit. It's something in the bypass of the side stand/neutral/clutch switch. Needless to say I'm now tearing it down again and chasing the trouble down.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Bret,

It sounds like you need to ground the sidestand switch interlock since it starts just fine in neutral, but dies when you put it in gear (as if the sidestand is down). Ground terminal 9 on your ignitor and the sidestand interlock will be permanently disabled. BTDT.

Here's a link to that other forum for a post that deals with both the sidestand and clutch interlocks...its a good read.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/109948-thruxton-wiring-diet.html#post1268575

Cheers,

--Rich

Bonniebret

Rocker
Bret,

It sounds like you need to ground the sidestand switch interlock since it starts just fine in neutral, but dies when you put it in gear (as if the sidestand is down). Ground terminal 9 on your ignitor and the sidestand interlock will be permanently disabled. BTDT.

Here's a link to that other forum for a post that deals with both the sidestand and clutch interlocks...its a good read.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/109948-thruxton-wiring-diet.html#post1268575

Cheers,

--Rich

Thanks! I read that early on in the project but lost the link. I know I pulled the side stand switch and grounded it to another wire. I think that's the culprit. I need to go back and revisit everything.

I was all stoked to go for a ride when "CLUNK!" it died. I was SO bummed. It will be good to take a week off and regroup mentally.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Rich.......BO6 is a good guy....I believe he was just refering to the reference of "the other site"....
LMT

To say they're a tad persnickety would be an understatement. That said, if you're willing to go down the rabbit hole there's some useful information. Just hold your breath and bite your tongue.

koifarm

Hooligan
You are a brave man, my friend, but watching go through the process has been entertaining and informative in so many ways.....
Thanks for sharing that with us....

Bonniebret

Rocker
You are a brave man, my friend, but watching go through the process has been entertaining and informative in so many ways.....
Thanks for sharing that with us....

Thanks, Koi! You know I had a realization today. Everything had been going relatively smooth up until this weekend. Now it's time to start learning and grow as a mechanic. That or say "Fuck it" and buy a new bike.

koifarm

Hooligan
Perseverance

Thanks, Koi! You know I had a realization today. Everything had been going relatively smooth up until this weekend. Now it's time to start learning and grow as a mechanic. That or say "Fuck it" and buy a new bike.

Thks back Bret, you have the aptitude and patience to be a mechanic, it there was any part of mechanical work that would stop a new mechanic in his or her tracks it would be the electronics....modern bikes have such a complex wiring system that even with a schematic you can still get lost in the wilderness of the wiring.
Back when bikes were simple, just about anyone could work out an electrical problem, I fondly remember the Lucas wiring systems in the Triumphs which most of us immediately ripped out and replaced with a sensible functioning harness and parts but those systems were the best of the day, it must take an electrical engineer to manage the complexities of the integrated harnesses and switches of this day and age, let alone an owner trying to simplify things by minimizing the electrical apparatus.
If you like cranking a wrench, getting all greasy and dirty, and problem solving, stay with it....one of the advantages we have today is the internet and the people on this board whom with we can discuss and ask questions and share advice, had we had such a thing in those early days life would have been much simpler and easier.
So....stick with it....have fun and who knows where you will go but it will be a good experience for you and a feeling of accomplishment which will last for years to come....:up:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Nothing to report but here's a shot of the new headlight. I took some steel wool to it and knocked down the ghetto bling.

7rsc.jpg

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Headlight looks very cool. Just wait 'til it goes green like the statue of Liberty!

I have chopped a bunch of wire out of my Bonnie too. I was persuaded to keep the carb heaters by someone here but every time i adjust something around there I am tempted to get rid of them.

Before I got into destroying my bikes I took up tube amp building as a hobby, being a guitar player. After building many, many amplifiers bike schematics are not so scary. It took me a while to realise that how you route the wires is not quite so critical in a bike. In an amplifier "lead dress" is a major factor for how quiet and reliable an amp will be. On the bike as long as the connection makes it and doesn't wrap wire around a wheel you're good!

when ive done wiring before an old friend taught me to solder and crimp but mainly on older type looms, these modern ones are fiddly and with nano thin wires. what spoils it, is the interaction between a lot of components.
I know there is a company stateside that makes a bonnie based chopper (LC Fabrications?) does a excellent simplified wiring loom -carb bonnie or EFI based, not sure. like you guys over there say "keep it simple" :) :)

Bonniebret

Rocker
I realized I kinda left everyone hanging with this project and never posted any pics of the final wiring. It tidied up nice and having never tackled electrical before I'm pleased with the results i.e. it works. I also relocated the starter solenoid to the battery box and the relays to under the seat.

Here's some obligatory and gratuitous pics...

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg