review my current setup please.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
hi all. well, i am still trying to dial in my 08 t100. i had initially tried a dynojet kit and was not really impressed with the performance. i did like the throttle response from the DJ springs but i just didn't feel there was much advantage over the previous setup. also, after the dynojet kit there was substantial popping on deceleration and no amount of tuning of the mixture screws would eliminate this. my mpg was improved to 45 mpg versus the old set up of 38 mpg. consequently, i tried to put the old setup back in to determine any difference. to me, it seems to pull better with the current main jets, but there is a small amount of surging in first gear. a steady cruise at 2000 rpm in 2nd gear is pretty smooth no stumbling or surging. i'll post my dynojet setup and my current setup and maybe you could tell me if i should choose one over the other.

DynoJet Setup:

Main jet: DJ112 (equivalent to 117.5's)
Pilots jet: 40's
Needles: DJ needle e-clip set in the 4th position from the top
A/F mixture screws set at 3 turns out
Dynojet springs installed

Current Setup:

Main Jet: 127.5's
Pilot Jet: 40
Needle: Thruxton needle with 1 shim
A/F mixture screws set at 3 turns out
stock springs installed

My 08 T100 has the following mods:

A.I. Removed
K&N Filter installed
Snorkel Removed
NGK Iridium IX plugs
Epco Pipes

any help you could give me would be appreciated. thanks

tribear

Street Tracker
hi SF.
when you say it pulls better with the current main jets, is this from about 3/4 through the rev range on up to the rev limiter? your mains at 127.5 seem a bit rich to me with the intake mods listed, and the equivalent DJ being 117 ish seems a bit lean. I'm thinking 125 ish for your mains may be a good mark. surging is symptomatic of a lean condition and at the RPM you stated you might consider going to a 42 pilot. 3 turns out is getting close to the max for that jet. A 42 at say 1 3/4 to 2 turns out might give some more fine tuning room. popping on decel isn't necesarily a detriment but the surging is telling you that something isn't quite dialed in.

hmmmm....if you are happy with the mains at 127.5 and it's pull on top, I'd put in the 42 pilots and try dialing 'er in from there.

Last edited:

gilligan

Scooter
I agree with tribear. Go up a size on the pilot jet and you may find that you can take the shim out from under the thrux needle. You may actually find that a shimmed stock needle works better with the larger pilot. I have a Bonneville America and for a while ran the stock pilot jet and larger main jet and used either thruxton or TBS needles to compensate for the fact that my pilot jet was still stock despite having modded the airbox. That setup worked reasonably well, but I finally got around to putting in the larger pilot jet and found that the bike ran best with shimmed stock needle. Keep experimenting and you will eventually find the optimal setup.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
with the 127.5's it seems better at wfo. i hit 115 on the speedo the other day and it felt like it still had more to go. i am thinking of swapping out the 127.5's with 122.5's and see what it does. also, what do you all think about enlarging the filter opening? would i be closer to the jetting if i leave the 127.5's in and did that with also maybe taking out the restrictor plate? thanks

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
+1 on the other posters. Get a bigger pilot jet. 127.5 is a tad rich with an intact restrictor plate, 125 might do ya better, but you're mostly complaining about the low end - you're too lean down there.

tribear

Street Tracker
Ya Steamfitter. I think pulling the restrictor is a good call having done it recently myself with great results and yes, I'd leave the 127.5's in at that point. Especially if you are getting 115mph. Still seems you may need the 42 pilots though.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
last night i enlarged the filter opening as wide as it could go and still hold the k&n filter in place. i felt it gave a little more butt dyno power but maybe that is just the louder exhaust tone! anyway, i plan on taking the restrictor plate out here soon. as for the 42's, i am definetly thinking that it is the way to go. it is mainly in the low speed cruising from idle to 1/8 or 1/4 throttle that it seems to be lacking. the top end seems to be pretty good although i might try a 122.5 just to see if there is a diffrence. with the restrictor plate out i am thinking that would be a little lean though. should i try the 42's with the shim on the thrux needle or remove it?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Swapping the pilots is about 10x harder than the shims. So just try it both ways!!