returning to the fold

neuroboy

750cc
I hope you don't do the same thing as last year... buy a bike right as the season ends.

yeah, i hear you. i mean, at this point though it's either do that or wait until next year. . . Fall kinda rolled in yesterday. I think that a wrap on Summer 'round these parts. I'm hoping the silver lining is that I'll be able to knock a couple hundy off a bike going into winter.

neuroboy

750cc
Got it.

I'm now the proud owner of a very clean 2006 Caspian Blue Thruxton. I was skeptical about the blue, but it looks really sharp in person--darker than the pictures led me to believe--and it's nice to have a little color after two black-on-black bikes. It has lots of little bits (oil temp gauge, knurled thumbscrews on the seat and side covers, fender removal, Monza gas cap, steering damper) that show that time and care has been put into it.

I drove down to Hartford to check it out, took it for a spin, and plunked down the cash. The guy had it up at a fair price so I didn't haggle--as a result he sold me his craftsman moto jack for $50 and threw in a Haynes manual gratis.

Need to register it today and get a lift back down there to ride it back this week. Our month-long national nightmare is over. . . I have a bike again!

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
$451 later I have the registration and plate in hand. . . I'll head down to Farmington (CT) sometime after work this week to pick it up. so close. . .

Does anyone have a pair of rear pegs hanging around they wouldn't mind parting with?

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
Sweet! And the Caspian is the quintessential Triumph color. Nicely done.

I was just happy not to three-peat the black-on-black of my two previous bikes. Yeah, the blue is sharp enough for me to rethink the Sprint tank for the time being.

I'm headed back down to Hartford (or, rather, just outside) to pick it up tonight.

neuroboy

750cc
It was a long ride down to Hartford and back--on the back of my buddy's bike and back on the Thruxton. It was probably five hours roundtrip (lots of traffic heading out at six from Boston).

A couple thoughts:
1. holycrap, I need new rear shocks ASAP to keep the bike planted. . . my ass was bouncing all over the place at speed on the highway.

2. this 865 has way more legs than the '05 bonnie black (790cc) I had from '07 to '11. cruising at 90mph on I-84 the thing was barely breaking a sweat at 5500rpms (readline's at 8000).

3. the bike strangely feels waaay smaller than my last bike (a Street Triple) even though it's longer and heavier.

4. having only spent a few hours on the bike on the highway riding from Hartford to Boston, i can say without a doubt that getting a Thruxton instead of replacing the stolen Streetie with another was easily the right decision.

wolfie

Two Stroke
Let's see some pics!

Also elaborate on #4 for us please. Is it comfort? Why do you prefer the Thruxton?

neuroboy

750cc
Also elaborate on #4 for us please. Is it comfort? Why do you prefer the Thruxton?

the way i describe it is that the two bikes have--from a functional standpoint--about 75-80% overlap. the 20% of non-overlap for the Streetie is top-end, neck-snapping performance (engine, brakes, flickability). . . the 20% for the Thruxton is intangible awesomeness it looks the way a moto is supposed to look, it sounds the way a moto is supposed to sound, it somehow feels smaller and lighter even though i know it's none of those two things. it feel more "sled-like". that said, i need to address this bike's disconcerting ass wiggle--something i remedied with better shocks on my first bike--an '05 bonnie black.

for what i use a moto for, there's not much that the Streetie can do that the Thruxton can't. . . I'm not a track-day guy, i don't do wheelies (I'm not a hooligan, in general). The Streetie is what Batman would ride--it's more badass than cool. I'm more a cool guy than a badass guy in terms of the bike i want, so, in the end the choice now seems clear.

if i ever get hooked on track days maybe my opinions will change, but the kind of track day i can imagine my self doing will likely be more thruxton-speed than streetie-speed anyway.

edit: comfort-wise i really like how the "modern classics" don't jam your crotch into the tank like the triples do. it helps that i'm 6'+ so the reach to the clip-ons doesn't feel like a rack-like torture device like they would for my buddy who stands at about 5'6". that longer reach makes it easier, too, to lean down and put your chin on the tank without smashing your face into the gauge cluster.

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
thanks man, i'll probably pull the blue flyscreen and replace it with a clear, Dart one before too long. Shocks, too (prob ZRX KYBs like i did on my bonnie), obviously.

I'm jonesin' for a 2-into-1 system, too. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited: