replacing my alternator cover - any tips?

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Haven't done it before, so when my next oil change is due I have a new alt cover and gasket ready to go.

Any words of advice if you're someone who has done this before?

thnx in advance

P.S. GO BRUINS

strokerlmt

In my opinion it is easy. Back out the bolts, gently use a rubber/plastic small mallet to break the gasket seal for the cover and pull off carefully. Then I use a not to sharp one inch metal scrapper to clean the old gasket off the cover and engine. I use lots of light and very careful to not score the facings. I use my finger and put a little oil on the engine facing then put the new gasket on. That way the gasket stays in place when you are slipping on the cover. I use loctite and am real careful to NOT over torque the bolts.
Good luck
LMT

jhillier71

Street Tracker
In my opinion it is easy. Back out the bolts, gently use a rubber/plastic small mallet to break the gasket seal for the cover and pull off carefully. Then I use a not to sharp one inch metal scrapper to clean the old gasket off the cover and engine. I use lots of light and very careful to not score the facings. I use my finger and put a little oil on the engine facing then put the new gasket on. That way the gasket stays in place when you are slipping on the cover. I use loctite and am real careful to NOT over torque the bolts.
Good luck
LMT

@Strokerlmt - Thanks for the response. I thought it would be as easy as you say. i've got a torque wrench and it looks like its 9 Nm for the alt cover/ crankcase bolts so here goes nothing....

mark66

TT Racer
It's pretty easy....just did mine on Saturday. Watch the pull on the magnet, it can pinch your fingers it they get at the edge of the flange. I did have to use the edge of an old thin knife carefully against the edge and gasket and tap that in to break the stuck cover. First tried like lmt said but wouldn't break free for me.

neuroboy

750cc
Are you changing to a cover with a new finish? I'm trying to find an econo way to get from my blacked out covers to the brush aluminum ones that come on the thrux and am curious if you're going the other way.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Instead of putting oil on the gasket mounting face to hold the gasket in place (this is not the best idea as most gaskets are impregnated with a bounding compound to assist with sealing and using oil will effect that ability) try using a pair (sometimes three) of guide bolts. Go to bolt shop and get two (or three) bolts of matching diameter and thread as the bolts used to secure the alternator cover but instead of the same length get them about 2 or 3 inches longer, cut the heads off and when you have cleaned up the gasket face screw the guide bolts in using preferably two of the upper bolt holes so the gasket hangs. The guide bolts will also assist with getting the cover lined up properly when the magnet tries pulling it in quickly. It sometimes helps if a slot is cut in the end so you can use a screw driver to get them back out if they get a bit tight or just use pliers. Keep the guide bolts in your tool box because you will use them again on something else.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Instead of putting oil on the gasket mounting face to hold the gasket in place (this is not the best idea as most gaskets are impregnated with a bounding compound to assist with sealing and using oil will effect that ability) try using a pair (sometimes three) of guide bolts. Go to bolt shop and get two (or three) bolts of matching diameter and thread as the bolts used to secure the alternator cover but instead of the same length get them about 2 or 3 inches longer, cut the heads off and when you have cleaned up the gasket face screw the guide bolts in using preferably two of the upper bolt holes so the gasket hangs. The guide bolts will also assist with getting the cover lined up properly when the magnet tries pulling it in quickly. It sometimes helps if a slot is cut in the end so you can use a screw driver to get them back out if they get a bit tight or just use pliers. Keep the guide bolts in your tool box because you will use them again on something else.

interesting approach and I like it...

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Are you changing to a cover with a new finish? I'm trying to find an econo way to get from my blacked out covers to the brush aluminum ones that come on the thrux and am curious if you're going the other way.

replacing a (slightly scuffed) brushed cover with a new brushed cover.

strokerlmt

twodogs....grt idea and will use next time. I do have to say I have never had a leak due to using a little oil to tack up the gasket. Thx for the idea though...
LMT

Twodogs

Street Tracker
strokerlmt.... Possibly the chances of having a leak may not happen immediately or maybe not in the near future but by not using the oil will just increase the over all life span of the gasket which means less maintenance and more riding. I work for a Caterpillar dealership and all the cat gaskets and also most quality brand gaskets are impregnated with a sealant that is released under pressure (That is why there are cheap gaskets on the market....no sealing compound) so there is not really a requirement for any additional sealant such as gasket cement, permatex etc. These products are really only nececssary when the gasket is being reused or the mating surface area is corroded, pitted or scratched and the gasket would not be able to seal in these smaller tolerances but the rule of thumb to achieve the best results is that when using any gasket or sealant is to make sure the mating surface is smooth and CLEAN of all grease, oils etc and using a fast evaporating cleaning agent such as brake clean or loc tight primer spray will help in this area but if it is still needed to use something to hold a gasket in place again don't use oil but instead a few small dobs of a sealant will do the job. Also if using any sealing compounds remember LESS is best, this means big globs of the stuff doesn't mean it will seal better because what actually happens is the majority will get squeezed out which is basically money being wasted by just making a mess around the outside of the compartment or even worse still, getting squeezed inside the compartment and having the possibility of being picked up and getting caught in an oil/lubrication port.

ivar

TT Racer
Also if using any sealing compounds remember LESS is best, this means big globs of the stuff doesn't mean it will seal better because what actually happens is the majority will get squeezed out which is basically money being wasted by just making a mess around the outside of the compartment or even worse still, getting squeezed inside the compartment and having the possibility of being picked up and getting caught in an oil/lubrication port.
got NO idea what you're talking about :lol3:

P1000568.JPG

ivar

TT Racer
:D
the previous owner's kids thought it was a good idea to fix a overflowing carb caused by a leaky float
I like this pic too, same carb with some carb icing trouble
(sorry for thread hijack)
DAG_0850.jpg

jhillier71

Street Tracker
one more *stupid* question (remember I've never pulled an alt cover before).

Does one have to drain, i.e. change the oil to replace the cover? I think I know the answer but (again) will defer to the resident experts...thanks

mark66

TT Racer
In the Haynes manual they say that if you've got the bike on the kickstand then you won't have to drain the oil. Have a rag there anyway, you'll still get a little. I was also pulling the clutch cover so I had to drain it.

Last edited:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
alright, simple job and done.

couple of notes -

1. turn on radio loud (or you're too old) and have a cold one ready :beer:

2. if you order a new cover it doesnt come with a gasket or the Triumph badge (triangle). You need to order those seperately. I managed to salvage the 'old' badge by gently prying it off and then simply using crazy glue, as there was some old epoxy crap i used as a base to put the glue on.

3. if on the sidestand the bike will drip oil but shouldnt leak too much, shop rags should do the trick for absorbtion

4. you will need gasket sealant to reapply around the two wiring harnesses

5. torque settings for the various bolts are:
Alt stator to cover bolts = 12 Nm
Alt cover to crakcase bolts = 9 Nm
Alt stator wiring clamp to cover screw (internal) = 12 Nm