Replacement Headers

Insterereo

Two Stroke
So the pipes on my bike are blued/mostly browned all the way to the mufflers. the previous owner obviously never polished, cleaned or even touched them. So, now they are a kinda ugly brown blue dull color. I have since removed removed the AI, and was looking for info on replacement headers so that I can kind of start that process anew. However, after a little research, I haven't been able to find replacement header pipes. Anyone know where to get some? and more importantly, how much they typically go for? Thanks in advance

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Anyone know where to get some? and more importantly, how much they typically go for? Thanks in advance

If the bluing bothers you, you might consider having them ceramic coated. It won't look like chrome, but it won't look like blue/brown stained pipes, either. John "Thruxton-Up" in here has a source in Georgia for coating pipes that is as good as any I've seen. I've had two sets coated by Jet-Hot - one came back 'ok', the other came back looking like it was coated with orange peel.

I've seen used header pipes go for as little as $130 for a pair, up to $175 for a pair.

Good luck!

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
They are chrome over SS.
Any chrome still left will need to be stripped off before you can polish them.

dbacher06

Scooter
I dont know if you have exhaust already, but if not consider a full system. I have the BUB 2 into 2 full exhaust system and it comes with new headers and mufflers. The whole system runs about $600.00 I have the BUB and absolutely love it. It is a little louder then most pipes, but i think they look the best and i dont think they are too loud.

Insterereo

Two Stroke
Thanks for responses guys. I actually AM fond of the bluing. It's just when the pipes are in the process of bluing, if you dont keep them cleaned and/or polished, any oil/grease/dirt that gets on them stays on them for good. This is what happened to mine before I came into possession of the bike. I guess I can try to take them off and polish them up with a wheel? Although I got some chrome cleaner and gave them a good rub down with no result already - I wonder if it'd make a difference

PieMan

Two Stroke
They are chrome over SS.
Any chrome still left will need to be stripped off before you can polish them.

I've sanded and polished Bonnie 04's 06's and 07's and there was no chrome in sight, just stainless. Of course they do blue again after a few miles, but they look new and you start with a clean sheet.

tchef

Scooter
I am in the minority, don't like blue pipes.I recently sprung for the Raask pipes.Never looked back.

DIRK

750cc
go for the ceramic coating. easier to clean runs cooler you should be able to check out the suppliers work ahead of time. or wrap them. coating allows a better look for some and in our experience we have not had any issues. here is a source. http://www.jet-hot.com/

airspro

Scooter
I am in the minority, don't like blue pipes.I recently sprung for the Raask pipes.Never looked back.

I think they are a bit cheaper this year than last due to the USD coming up v the Swedish Krone ? I checked just a month ago .

PieMan

Two Stroke
i actually have access to a polishing wheel. pieman - what kind of compound did you use?

I usually use 800 wet 'n dry to rub the pipes down, this usually gets rid of the blue and straw colouring and then 1200 wet 'n dry, this leaves a satin like finish. Next I use grey soap, then green then finish with blue. It takes a couple of hours, brings them up like new. Good luck.