Renntec or single seat for a bit of touring?

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
OK, so I'm off for a few days ride over Easter and am needing to carry a thing or 2 (tent, sleeping bag, rollmat, etc). I'm in a bit of a quandry as to whether to go for the single seat and rack or to get a Renntec rack to carry the gear. I know the rack's pretty much there for decorative purposes only, but tent, bag and mat only don't really weigh anything and I have Oxford soft panniers and tankbag for most of my kit. Also, the Oxford Humpback Panniers (which I originally bought for the Daytona) don't seem to sit overly happily on the Scrambler seat - probably because it narrows towards the back. I'm starting to worry that they might be sliding around, or heaven forfend, slipping off. Maybe the rack or single seat will make them a bit more secure, but I'll deal with that issue before I go, I'm sure.

The other thing is comfort. Now I don't find the stock seat to be at all uncomfortable and have happily done 6 / 7 hour rides on it (it's like an armchair after the Daytona), however this will be 6 / 7 days of 8+ hour rides, and I don't want to get into the middle of the second day to feel like my arse is about to quit on me.

So what do you reckon? I haven't got the cash for both at the minute, so which one's actually going to serve me best?

Cheers
bob

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Sounds like a fun trip. The Renntec would give you more room and capacity. But the solo seat and rack is VERY comfortable. I put a piece of aluminum between the seat pan and and rack on my solo seat to help beef it up. Feels much more secure now.

hankmarx

750cc
I find myself scooting back on the seat and using the passenger pegs on longer trips.
It is nice to have the room.

You're in Germany? Why not get a Hepco & Becker tail rack for the Scrambler? I've used it for years to secure my gear on long road trips - works very well.

I use the gel seat that looks like the stock seat. It is more comfortable than the stocker, but I think the rear shocks play a bigger comfort role than the seat as the hours roll by.

Good luck on your ride.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Hey chaps, cheers for the replies.

The Hepco rack costs €150 (although so does the Renntec over here), I can get the Renntec from the UK for 80GBP. I also tend to scoot around and use the rear pegs if I'm on the Autobahn, but when I test rode a Scram before I bought, it had a single seat and I found it still had a bit of 'wiggle room' and was seriously comfy. Plus the fact that it'd raise my kit bag up over the top of the panniers instead of just leaving it sitting on them (the do bugger all and save your cash option)

I don't know, I'm a world champion procrastinator, and the problem here is I can see the benefit for both set-ups. I've a feeling this is going to head towards a 'heads or tails' resolution!

As for the rear shocks, I've got a set of Hagon Classics on at the minute - a nice improvement, but could be better. Waiting to hear whether the hype about the Ricors turns out to be true or not before crippling my wallet.

Cheers
bob

Deano

Two Stroke
Hey chaps, cheers for the replies.

The Hepco rack costs €150 (although so does the Renntec over here), I can get the Renntec from the UK for 80GBP. I also tend to scoot around and use the rear pegs if I'm on the Autobahn, but when I test rode a Scram before I bought, it had a single seat and I found it still had a bit of 'wiggle room' and was seriously comfy. Plus the fact that it'd raise my kit bag up over the top of the panniers instead of just leaving it sitting on them (the do bugger all and save your cash option)

I don't know, I'm a world champion procrastinator, and the problem here is I can see the benefit for both set-ups. I've a feeling this is going to head towards a 'heads or tails' resolution!

As for the rear shocks, I've got a set of Hagon Classics on at the minute - a nice improvement, but could be better. Waiting to hear whether the hype about the Ricors turns out to be true or not before crippling my wallet.

Cheers
bob

Hey Bob, whatever you decide or end up doing, can you post some pic's for us. I made a single left side pannier out of an old german army bag, works real well, look's the part, but is just tempory as it dosent hold much except drink and tool's etc. I am still undecided about the arse end of my bike, but am thinking of single seat and rack, with some sort of custom made rack and panniers. Would really like to see pictures of what others have done.

I have to say that i reckon the new left side scrambler bracket from newbonneville would do the trick 4 u and still give you the full seat. I Just ordered a set for myself, as i find that i can just use the pillion seat for luggage most of time, and tho have a rack. I hardley need it, so could fit enough on with just a right hand bracket, and the passenger seat. If have pillion I still reckon have enough space with rucksack on passenger and one bracket (tho do have a 30ltr tank bag if comes to pinch.

Last edited:

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Thanks for the replies Guys. I just manged to inadvertantly pick up a Scrambler Gel seat off eBay, so I think I may have just resolved my own question. Now allI have to do is get the bloody thing over from the UK. Bugger.

Cheers
bob

Deano

Two Stroke
You're in Germany? Why not get a Hepco & Becker tail rack for the Scrambler? I've used it for years to secure my gear on long road trips - works very well.

I use the gel seat that looks like the stock seat. It is more comfortable than the stocker, but I think the rear shocks play a bigger comfort role than the seat as the hours roll by.

Good luck on your ride.

You are so right about the shocks making a difference. I just fitted some Ohlins to my scram and a couple of days ago I did my first decent ride since fitting, that would normally give me a numb arse, and it didn't. Me thinks 'MMMMMMMM'