removing rear disc

Skidmark

Scooter
Any one know if the socket heads are some bastard size?
I managed to get two undone with a large tommy bar on an allen key but the socket was starting to chew up. The other two are starting to rip before the bolt comes out.
This is the first time they have been removed. The two I have out seem to have been filled with blue loctight.
Any cunning plans?
Two option I have come up is see if the dealer can rattle gun them out. or plan B force a next size up imperial key in the hole.

The tools I have are Blue point and snap-on so its not some cheap shit tools that are the problem.
Skiddy

You might need some heat on those bolts to loosen up the loctite. Those bolts need to be replaced anyway. I believe they're one use only.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had the same problem the first time I replaced a front rotor. It is best to replace the bolts in my opinion as they have a tendency to seize up. Bring heat to the party and replace with brand new!

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Just have to keep working them, I always give them a good bashing down on the head to shake the loc tite loose and then work it a bit more. A bit at a time, but if you can get heat to them that would be a big help. Definitely a replacement part and definitely put loc tite on the new ones

Anyone know the size of the bolts? Bike Bandit doesn't give the size, but shows the same part number for front and rear (for my 2005 Bonneville).

I'm looking at the Pro-Bolt site, but it shows 5 bolts for the Triumph Bonneville kit, so I don't think that's right. It shows individual flanged bolts labeled "Triumph" in 8x18mm and 8x30mm.

Skidmark

Scooter
Once I stopped trying to save the bolt it got easier. Torched them for a while and them hammered in a torx bit which I then turned out with a socket.

Now got to get new bolts, want to bet they won't be a stock item.

Skiddy

six by six

Two Stroke
No they are not a stock item as I found out once. A Very Special shape only available from Triumph. Like $5 a bolt.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Taking note of that part# and saving it in my "save your ass - triumph file"!! Thank you Dirk!!

Skidmark

Scooter
Two part numbers

Ordered the bolts this morning, they are in country (Melbourne) and I should have them by the end of the week.
There are two part numbers for the pre 08 hubs that have "J" spokes and the newer ones with straight pull spokes.
Quoted A$15 each, I told them it was outrageous etc and they dropped to $12 still feels like there is sand in the lube.
Skiddy

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
there was definitely a little sand in the lube...at least you got the part you needed though and not mickey-mousing around with the wheels. I started doing a maintenance inspection that I have made up for myself; one of them is loosening and tightening all of the bolts on the rotor because of the problem that I had on my '06 Bonnie similar to you. Trial and error I guess...

Ordered the bolts this morning, they are in country (Melbourne) and I should have them by the end of the week.
There are two part numbers for the pre 08 hubs that have "J" spokes and the newer ones with straight pull spokes.
Quoted A$15 each, I told them it was outrageous etc and they dropped to $12 still feels like there is sand in the lube.
Skiddy

Do you know the size of the bolts?

Skidmark

Scooter
I'll let you know Friday when they arrive. They are odd in that they have a shallow cheese head, hence the shallow socket that strips. Also a a short shoulder before the threaded section. You are not going to get them at the fastner shop.
Skiddy

Thanks. I want to order them from Pro-Bolts--they don't cost much more than the stock replacements--but the web site shows 5 bolts in the Bonneville kit, definitely not correct. The bolts can be ordered individually if you know which one you need.

Have a look at the PDF chart linked halfway down the left side of this page, under Product Attachments. It's a good chart of motorcycle disk rotor bolt profiles and sizes.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php/stainless-steel-disc-bolt-triumph-pack-x-5.html#.T1YZfXkptvY

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Thanks. I want to order them from Pro-Bolts--they don't cost much more than the stock replacements--but the web site shows 5 bolts in the Bonneville kit, definitely not correct. The bolts can be ordered individually if you know which one you need.

Have a look at the PDF chart linked halfway down the left side of this page, under Product Attachments. It's a good chart of motorcycle disk rotor bolt profiles and sizes.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php/stainless-steel-disc-bolt-triumph-pack-x-5.html#.T1YZfXkptvY

Man this is a great site. Thx Balto....that is one great supplier/site.
LMT

The front and rear use the same bolts. The front takes 5, that is why there are 5 in the kit.

No, the front takes six, at least my 2005 Bonneville does. I went out and counted them. I ran out of fingers on my left hand, which has five of them, and it was more than that, so I think it was six.

That's why I'm questioning the Pro-Bolts web site.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Just wondering why you removed the rotor from the wheel? Was it warped or did ya have to remove it to get at the bearings? Mine still looks almost brand new but I personally don't use the rear brake that often, so, I was just wondering what got you wanting to remove yours in the first place.
Thanks

Skidmark

Scooter
Stars and Bars I am afraid its a little embarrassing, I let the rear pads wear down to the backing and heavily scored the discs. It is difficult to see pad status without dropping the caliper.
My only excuse is that I commute in heavy traffic and tend to use the rear brake to modulate speed as I lane split.

Skiddy

More embarrassing its not the first time I have done it, although first time on this bonnie!