Regulator, Battery ... T100 carbureted. Help.

sacio

moped
Moto = 2005 Bonneville T100 carbureted ....... I broke down the regulator.
Buy a second hand one on Ebay Germany. Once inserted, the multimeter measurements are:
Moto off, I measure at the terminals of the battery and I get: 12.78 Volts.
Moto prior heating at 800 rpm snatch five minutes: 12.45 Volts (as you know the lights are on).
Moto at 1,500 rpm: 14.05 Volts.
If I rev up to 4,000 rpm gives me the value of 13.80 volts.
I ask:
Is it OK the charge?, Okay regulator? ... Suggestions and opinions.
Thanks and regards.

That looks pretty good except you aren't charging at 800 RPM, but that is a bit low for a idle anyway.

The basics of battery charge is if the voltage is higher then the battery all by itself then the battery is charging. When it is a bunch higher, like 13.5 it is charging very well. If you get above 14.5 it is charging too much and can expect to boil and expel hydrogen that can actually cause a bit of a explosion hazard. I had a friend blow a battery in a car he knew was overcharging and his engine bay paint never was the same..

The idle speed should be 1000 RPM, +/- 50. See what the voltage is at about 1000 RPM. A good number would be 13.25 or better but a bit lower would still get by. As long as you are more the the battery voltage at least it wouldn't be discharging.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
That looks pretty good except you aren't charging at 800 RPM, but that is a bit low for a idle anyway.

{snip}

The idle speed should be 1000 RPM, +/- 50. See what the voltage is at about 1000 RPM. A good number would be 13.25 or better but a bit lower would still get by. As long as you are more the the battery voltage at least it wouldn't be discharging.

Yeah... maybe not so much. 1000 rpm would be a bit high for these bikes, 800 rpm is right about on target. And it's pretty well established that the stock charging circuit is a bit weak and that at idle... well you're not really charging. 13-14 volts up above 1500 RPM also sounds just fine.

Unless you're having starting troubles, sounds just fine to me!

bonZa

Street Tracker
according to the factory service manual, idle should be set at 1000 RPM +/- 50, too low an idle and the alternator wont charge the battery