Recommendations on new tires...

ray694

Scooter
I will be replacing both oem tires on my 2014 T100, and am considering going with a 90/10 tire for the occasional gravel roads. And since I have no experience with what is out there now, I was hoping to get some input concerning what members have used. Which ones should I look at, and the ones I should avoid.
Any advice is appreciated....

kdharri

moped
Avon Trail Riders
avon_av53_trailrider_front_tires_detail.jpg

ray694

Scooter
kdhari, I will look into those.... Have you run these..? What were your impression of them...?

I am also looking at the Metzeler Tourance tires (like the ones specd on the 2017 scrambler) I talked to some friends at the local dealership, and they had a really positive response to them....

kdharri

moped
I've run Avon's on all my bikes for the last 10 years, Cobras & 3D-XM ST Rain tires,but not this model.
I like the round profile and am considering them for my T120 once the mediocre Pirellis are done

ray694

Scooter
I think I may have narrowed it down to two tires. both Metzeler's their Tourance for the 90/10, and if I keep it blacktop only, I really like the look of their Sportec Klassik.....

ray694

Scooter
Had the Metzeler Tourance tires installed today, and was only able to put about 20-30 miles on them but I have to say I am very pleased with the way they ride.
with the stiffer side walls, the bike feels more planted, and steering seems more predictable.
On rough pavement, repaired pot holes, and minor changes in pavement elevation, the bike handles great. I still have to get them scrubbed in before I test them further, but, so far they are great....

ray694

Scooter
I now have several hundred miles on these, and they are working out as I expected. They are great for secondary roads (gravel, hard packed dirt, grass) but they are not very good on anything harsher than that. They have changed how the bike rides. When you go into a turn, the bike doesn't ease into it, it sort of tilts, if that makes sense, due to the very stiff sidewalls. but due to those same stiff sidewalls, the bike feels very planted.
Also, having right much rain in my area this spring, I have had plenty of time to see how they do and they handle very well. Water evacuation is excellent. All in all, I am very pleased with the choice

Last edited: