Reasons NOT to buy a Bonneville...

phil

Street Tracker
Found another good reason to not buy a Bonnie yesterday. It pisses all your riding friends off (that own cruisers) because they can not keep up with you when the road gets twisty. Plus, you always have to stop and wait for them to catch up, especially if they don't know the roads on which you are leading them.

I'm going to agree with you, my bonnie will keep up to just about anything I've seen, its super in the corners , it just AWSOME on gas, ITS JUST TOTALLY AWSOME.... I ride my bike everyday rain or shine, the Lil bonnie will start everyday and take me were I need to go. YEP did I say I'M SO NOT DISAPPOINTED that I bought the bonnie. OHH! one more thing THE BIKE IS AWESOME. I even had a older gentlemen almost fell out of his truck and asked me "is that a triumph" after I talked to him for half and hour, and all the Young Lady's who will talk to... OMG this bike is cool. oh! did I mention ZERO MTV, except daily stuff and super easy to change oil and to take care of. :worthy: SO! I can't really think of a GOOD reason not to buy one.

I don't have a Bonnie, but I want one. My problem is I can't really afford two bikes (kids in uni...) and I now ride a 2007 R1200GS, the reason I have a GS is that it is awsome in every department, a technical marvel (considering iys based on a 1922 design) and I comute 800km (round trip) each week (go on Monday return on Friday, often in tropical rain), at faily high crusing speeds. I am not sure that is the right use for a Bonnie.

They tick every other box, just very different to my current ride.

aejotz

moped
Reasons not to buy a New Bonneville:

You want to be thought of as a regular guy so you must ride a Harley bagger while drunk.

You want to be thought of as a thoughtful artsy "green" liberal type so you must ride a dangerously underpowered scooter.

You desperately need to impress young men so you must ride a sport bike on its rear wheel during rush hour.

You want people to think you're very macho so you must wear skull jewelry and ride a bobber or chopper that matches your tattoos.

You don't live in the UK and you must buy a bike made in your own country because your friends don't really believe in personal freedom as much as they believe in protectionism and you must do what your friends want because you don't have a mind of your own.

There isn't room in your garage or your budget because you already own a Speed Triple, a Rocket III and a new Thunderbird.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Reasons not to buy a New Bonneville:

You want to be thought of as a regular guy so you must ride a Harley bagger while drunk.

You want to be thought of as a thoughtful artsy "green" liberal type so you must ride a dangerously underpowered scooter.

You desperately need to impress young men so you must ride a sport bike on its rear wheel during rush hour.

You want people to think you're very macho so you must wear skull jewelry and ride a bobber or chopper that matches your tattoos.

You don't live in the UK and you must buy a bike made in your own country because your friends don't really believe in personal freedom as much as they believe in protectionism and you must do what your friends want because you don't have a mind of your own.

There isn't room in your garage or your budget because you already own a Speed Triple, a Rocket III and a new Thunderbird.
Hilarious.
Welcome to the forum and good to have you here. :)

Arkwright

Two Stroke
because, you don't want to attract or please a woman like this ? :headbang2:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've told the wife to stop posting her pics on biker sites...

I'm going to have to put my foot down and stop her daily sex allowance for a while until she starts to take notice...

phil

Street Tracker
I've lost count of the amount of times I've told the wife to stop posting her pics on biker sites...

I'm going to have to put my foot down and stop her daily sex allowance for a while until she starts to take notice...

Daily sex???? what that.. the wife and I used to do that when we were dating?? now I just get in trouble for everything.... My bonnie the only thing that doesn't give me problems. I think I need to talk to someone...

motomaniac

Street Tracker

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Arkwright... I have a similar tale. It's 2007, aged 47, and having last ridden way back in 1980 - major RTA (Myself and wife of three months severely smashed up! Very long recovery...)

Timeline:

Saturday 25/08 - Stood in the kitchen and see 20+ bikes whiz by. Without thinking say out loud "I'd love another bike", wife responds "Well, why not you've got the money.."

Sunday 26/08 - Check Ebay and other web listings for potential options...

Monday 27/08 (Public holiday in the UK) - find 10+ serious contenders

Tuesday 28/08 - Discuss options with wife who offers wise words "I know a '76 Trident would be awesome but do you have time for a project?". Honest answer is "NO"

Wednesday 29/08 - Wife comments "Seriously, can you see yourself on Speed Triple? After all you're 47, and a bit thick in the middle...". Honest answer is "NO". But there's this 2001 plate Bonnie on Ebay (But from a dealer!)... Hmmm.

Thursday 30/08 - Place max bid with 4 hours left. Watch clock tick down... Win Bonnie. Email wife at work to explain... Response is short. "Cool. But you don't take the kids on it, EVER!"

Friday 31/08 - Visit selling BMW dealer (Yeah, I know... but I did drive a 3 Series M Sport at the time) and buy Bonnie with Mastercard - how cool is that? Visit Triumph dealer nearby to buy jacket. 14 year old daughter says that the Rivton is much better than the Retro. Guy in dealership realises that 40+ bloke with 14 year old girl is not actually a pervert but has a fat wallet and is now interested... boots, gloves and helmet follow.

Visit doctor as sore ear is getting worse. Doctor says major ear infecrion. Take photo of bike to pub (and yes, antibiotics and beer do mix, not very well I admit!) to show best mate the new toy... midnight, and drunk so Email same photo around the world to friends far and wide.

Saturday/Sunday 1,2/09 - excited but to sick to enjoy the moment fully.

Monday 3/09 - F*ck work (Ah, self employed so no sick pay) , stay in bed. Ear hurts, can't see out of right eye properly, deaf and feeling very sorry for oneself.

Tuesday 4/09 - Can't be ar*ed to work again. Bike is delivered. Ride her 50 feet into garage. Awesome. Daughter is ecstatic despite not being allowed to ride - EVER according to previous negotiations. Wife takes one look "Wow, she's beautiful. Oh my god, we've got a new baby!"

Three years on...

I still get the biggest grin just looking at her never mind when riding out...

Reasons not to get one... JUST DO IT!

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Great story wackyville, sounds just like my situation, except I haven't got the bike yet..

I guess this is a good time to update, seeing as I started the thread and haven't contributed for a while.

Been to look at 5 bikes, all within my budget, but still not exactly what I was after (paint job wise). Decided I had to lower my expectations and arranged to go back and look at a nice black one and a two tone blue.

Unfortunately my life is strewn with cow pats from the Devils own satanic herd. Last week my son had his bike stolen and torched and left him withouy transport to get to work and back. He took the cheap option on insurance and only took out 3rd party, so I took the decision to use half of my Bonnie fund to buy him a new bike. I know... Should have let him sort it out himself, he is 19 after all, but I couldn't see the lad struggling to get to work on the British public transport system.

So the bonnie is but a dream AGAIN.... at least until business picks up a bit and I can replace the lost funds.

All I know is that before I finally hang up my riding boots, I'll own a BONNIE... For how long I don;t know, but I'll own one...

thistle66

Scooter
I appluad the decision to help your kid out.

But he'd better damn well appreciate that it came from your Bonnie fund tho...! That's love.

I already told the wife my two kids are gonna starve before I sell my Scrambler.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Well the dastardly deed has finally been done...

At 1640hrs BST on 25th aug 2010 I handed over my hard earned cash for a 2004 T100 with 3000 miles on the clock.

It's hopefully being delivered on Friday.

With the summer nearly over, i was going to wait until next year, but couldn't stand anymore ear bashing from you lot on here.

Here's a couple of pics... Wasn't the colour scheme I was after but I can live with it.

bikeimage.aspx.jpg

bikeimage.aspx%20%281%29.jpg

So now I've joined 'The Club', do I get a badge?

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I'm just trying to fathom out how my grin can get any wider than it is now and I haven't even got the damn thing yet.

Just got off the phone with the dealer and he's aiming to be with me by lunchtime tomorrow. Which is approximately 21 hours away... How do I occupy the next 21 hours?

As an added bonus, when I spoke to the dealer, he said there's a set of unused TOR's that come with the bike, that the previous owner bought but never got chance to fit.

Sometimes ain't life just wonderful...

Last edited: