FrankBlack

Two Stroke
What would you do? Changing my rear brake pads today I discovered this:

EDIT: split is 5.5cm long; 1 cm at it's deepest; 2mm at its shallowest

P8060001.jpg

Last edited:

zmilin

Street Tracker
Im sure itll be strongly debated but its your ass...if you value your ass replace it.
If you have my luck itll split when your doing 80.

Insterereo

Two Stroke
If it were me - I'd go back to the place I bought it from and try to exchange it. I cant imagine anything that would cause this besides a manufacturer flaw. That's a lot of tread to just throw away and replace out of pocket =/

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Yeah, I wondered what might have made that kind of cut. It looks like a carpet knife might have caused it! But then again, I guess a big piece of glass or metal might account for it. Earlier this afternoon I was on the motorway and had to brake suddenly, momentarily skidding the back wheel a little. But it doesn't look too much like a tear to me.

Anyway, the pain of it is it'll cost me about £120/ $180 to replace.:(

Not that I'm vastly experienced or anything but riding on that thing would be a rough time. I think I'd just be thinking about the scary tire on the rear end instead of enjoying the ride.

DIRK

750cc
oh well yes you can see at the top where you ran over something that now allows you to recycle a few bit's of paper. perhaps your local shop will give you a break. and maybe if you are lucky they will not destroy the tube.

pepper

Street Tracker
I wouldn't ride on that shit longer than it took to get to a shop brotha. I feel your pain on the money. A guy can get a lot of beer with a hunert eighty bucks. On the bright side, better you caught it now than dealing with it when you were out hot rodding around. All in all I reckon lady luck smiled on you today.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
It depends on the depth of the cut. If it is no deeper than the tread grooves I woulsn't hesitate to ride on it, and have a similar tire for about 6K miles.

Jim :cool:

Insterereo

Two Stroke
hmmm ya now that i look at the pic, i think you can see on the tire where you skid. and maybe its just my imagination, but, if you look at the top of the split, you can almost make out a puncture point? maybe in the split second you skid, you hit a jagged piece of...something..that was stuck in and sticking out of the pavement?

ricky

Street Tracker
Replace it. :(

But before you do, we need a video of a Bonnie doing one massive, smokey, hellish burnout!
I mean, the tires already shot, right?

KingBear

Hooligan
I don't buy the notion that the skid should have caused the damage. Tires are meant to perform that way. If a skid caused it that's just another reason why it should be replaced under warranty.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I don't really think the skid caused it. At best it may wave widened the existing cut a little. It looks more like a cut to me than a tear or a split due to a manufacturing defect. Plus it does unfortunately go deeper than the treadc depth - quite a bit. And opening the gap a bit I can see the steel/ fabric reinforcement, so I'll be replacing it in the next few days. Cheapest quote I've had is £105 fitted.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I don't really think the skid caused it. At best it may wave widened the existing cut a little. It looks more like a cut to me than a tear or a split due to a manufacturing defect. Plus it does unfortunately go deeper than the treadc depth - quite a bit. And opening the gap a bit I can see the steel/ fabric reinforcement, so I'll be replacing it in the next few days. Cheapest quote I've had is £105 fitted.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

In that case it is done!:(

Jim :cool:

Insterereo

Two Stroke
or you could put on ATGATT, ride around on a safe quiet road until the tire blows. then sue the manufacturer for a lifetime supply of tires