Rear tire cupping

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Well I've been bitching about the Roadriders since I got em, seemed that I maybe had an out of round front tire so I've balanced and remounted it a couple of times as the front end is just all kinds of funky. I mounted a 150 on the rear stock rim without doing a whole lot of research, but was told by a few it wouldn't have that bad an effect in most situations and could ride it out till it's shot, then prolly go back to the 130. Anyhow, 1600 miles later the front is wearing perfect, but the rear is scalloped like a sumbitch, Any thoughts.

Bonafide

NBR founder
What kind of air pressure are you running? That and how much weight is sitting over the rear tire. But I'm not a fan of running a wider rear anyway. Throws of the bikes handling dynamics in my opinion.

loxpump

Rocker
I'm running road riders without any problems, but have a 140 rear I believe. I thought that was the widest recommended for our rims.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I have stock road riders front and rear and have done over 20,000 kilometers. the rear is worn down to the wear indicators and is heavily cupped along the sides

the rear showed signs of cupping early on, but I think that was caused by running with the tyres under inflated for a couple of thousand Ks before I realised it.

trouble is once cupping starts it's there for the life of the tyre

DIRK

750cc
low air pressure can be a killer. how many miles on your rear suspension. what is the condition of your swing arm bearings? these all can a factor

I used to get cupping on a number of tires until I started running a little higher air pressure. It is true that underinflation will cup and destroy a motorcycle tire very quickly. The heavier the motorcycle, the more pronounced it will be. 850 pound Goldwings were the worst. If you ran those tires underinflated the cupping would get so bad that the bars would shake under deceleration.