Rear Shocks

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hey Guys. I'm looking to replace my rear shocks and I am on a budget. I can't afford the ohlins. Anyone have good suggestions? I don't need to replace the front and I am not looking to do any off road. I just need to improve for my daily riding in and around town and into the mountains on the weekends.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Hey Guys. I'm looking to replace my rear shocks and I am on a budget. I can't afford the ohlins. Anyone have good suggestions? I don't need to replace the front and I am not looking to do any off road. I just need to improve for my daily riding in and around town and into the mountains on the weekends.

Progressive 412's. Roughly $200 for the pair, and they work VERY well on the Scrambler. No adjustments other than preload; but if you're looking for bang for your buck the Progressives win the day IMHO.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I was wondering about the Progressive 412's. Good to get some feedback from someone who has actually installed them.

I also have looked at the Hagons's and they too fit the bill on cost. I can't quite figure out the differences between their two different 900 models. Other than BC has them listed as a road version and one as an adjustable shock. I thought they were both adjustable?

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I've had the Progressives on my bike for more than a year and several thousand miles of both pavement and off-pavement riding. I crank the preload up when I have loaded luggage on it, and back it down when I don't, and the shocks work perfectly under every condition I've subjected them to.

I had Hagons on my Thruxton. They worked okay, although the damping adjustment seemed to make no difference and the spring was a tad stiff. They're probably a good value too, I just prefer the Progressives (and getting them black with black springs suits the look I wanted as well).

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I've had the Progressives on my bike for more than a year and several thousand miles of both pavement and off-pavement riding. I crank the preload up when I have loaded luggage on it, and back it down when I don't, and the shocks work perfectly under every condition I've subjected them to.

I had Hagons on my Thruxton. They worked okay, although the damping adjustment seemed to make no difference and the spring was a tad stiff. They're probably a good value too, I just prefer the Progressives (and getting them black with black springs suits the look I wanted as well).

Do you have a recommendation on where to pick up the Progressive shocks? I think I am leaning more and more towards these. I did not know they had black with black springs would be perfect.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Do you have a recommendation on where to pick up the Progressive shocks? I think I am leaning more and more towards these. I did not know they had black with black springs would be perfect.

I'll have to dig up my order info. I'll get back to you. Someplace online for sure.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
I have had Ikon's front and rear on 2 different T100's and like the difference in handling.

Front and rear can be had for around $400 at NewBonneville.com.

9mmMike

Scooter

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I've got a set of Ricor rear shocks that I've taken off sitting in the garage you can have for $400 and postage

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Just an update.... I tried first ordering the Progressie 412's and I have been waiting for 4 weeks for them to arrive. Found out today it will be until March or April until JC, BC or NB have them in stock. So I tried to get the IKONS and ran into same problem and that nobody has them in stock.

So I had to settle on the Hagon 900 2810 (black body w/black spring). I talked to BC and they recommended them highly and said they put many of these on bikes that come to the shop.

I know of only one other person using these shocks, so when I get them installed I'll give an update and ride report. At this point anything is better than stock.

LoVel

Two Stroke
I have been dealing with the same issues and am now waiting on the Hagons to arrive. I received shipping notification yesterday. I also went with the black springs and black shock for my black Scrambler.

412's were back ordered until March.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
My Hagon 2810's finally came in yesterday. Here is my review:

Ordering:
Wherever you decide to buy these shocks I recommend you call the order in. They will ask basic things like, how much do you weigh, how tall, type of riding, etc.... From what I was told this is done so that when they put the shocks together at Hagon in Cali, they set it up personally for you. How nice of them!!

First Appearance:
The look of the shocks in terms of quality and finish look excellent. I ordered black springs on a black body and the paint (or is it powder coat?) they used looks like it will take scratching and the abuse I will throw at them quite well. The blue logo on the shocks is just a sticker so that will be removed, unless Hagon wants to give me money to advertise on my bike? Other than the shocks and the cam adjuster tool, there was nothing else in the box.

Installation:
It took me 15 minutes to remove the original shocks and install the new ones. Easy as 1-2-3. Take one side off at a time by unscrewing the bolts. The bolts and washers that are already on the bike really only keep the shocks from sliding off. The grommets at the ends of the shocks slip over two metal "axles" for a lack of a better term and that is what is keeping them fixed on the bike. The shocks are not under pressure so when you slide them towards you nothing will go flying or pinch your finger. I recommend using a rubber mallot to gently tap them if they don't slide off easily. I just put the smallest of dabs of grease on each mounting point before sliding the new shocks in place. Tighten the bolts to 28Nm.

Settings:
They say the shocks are shipped at the softest setting and it was true. These shocks have three cam ring settings and I started off putting it right in the middle. I have left the dampening in the middle as well. That is how it was shipped to me. I'll play with them once I start doing some more agressive riding in the mountains and load up my camping gear.

First Ride:
I noticed that once I sat on the bike it felt to me to be at the same height as I had the on the stock set. I immediately noticed that the springs did not sag/give as much as the stock when I first put my fat ass on the bike. For the record I am 6'1" and 218lbs (last I checked...which was this morning).

The best way I can describe the ride experience would be to say it was solid and I felt like I had more control. Obviously the bike did not bounce around as much on uneven pavement or inperfections in the road. I did feel more "planted" on the road which made me feel more comfortable. I took the bike on my usual 35 mile test route. It was all pavement and consists of back roads. In the curves on twisty roads I felt like I had more control. The bike did not seem to want to hop as much and it actually felt like I had a better grip to the road surface. I don't know why, but that is how it felt to me. I also noticed that same feeling when making turns at intersections. For some reason this seems to have translated into my steering as well and the front of the bike felt slightly more planted. The new found confidence allowed me to ride a bit more agressive, granted I will not push it until I have more saddle time down.

One note that I did not expect. I never had any issues with fork dive or front end trouble (other than hitting a turn hard and feeling a bit shaky which seems to have subsided greatly with the new Hagons). After riding a few miles and enjoying the more solid feel to the back of the bike I did notice the front end characteristics more. Not that they are bad, but now I can feel the difference if that makes sense? Perhaps because the rear handling characteristics of the bike was always on my mind? Either way it is not a bad thing but I will continue to ride for a while before I decide if I want to upgrade the front with progressive springs.

Conclusion:
Glad I did this upgrade. One of the easiest things to do, not too expensive and you will see and notice immediate results.

shock1.jpg
shock2.jpg

LoVel

Two Stroke
I agree with your write up except I thought I felt the difference in the front forks even more than you. I have already installed the progressive fork springs and love the change in characterisitics all the way around.

I'm no suspension expert but to me it just feels like there is something under me that responds to my inputs instead of bouncing all over the place.

Go ahead with the spings. I used 15w fork oil per some other peoples recommendations on this site. Seems good to me.