Rear shocks suggestions?

Kframe

Street Tracker
I've decided to upgrade the suspension on my T100.
Looks like the major brands people are going with are Ikon, Hagon, YSS, Works and Progressive.

I'd like to spend about $350 to $450 for the pair.

How important is rebuildable?
I'm not extremely aggressive rider, but I do like the twisties and the stockers just don't cut it.

Right now I'm leaning toward the YSS Z302TRL's, or Progressive 418's, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm also thinking of going with Thruxton length (360mm) instead of the stock length.

The other option is the $250 or so Progressive 412's or the classic Hagon's, but I don't know how much better than stock those ones are.

I'm 6' 1" and about 180#.

What do you think?
Thanks, -K

MattRat

TT Racer
I am 6' 235# and have the Hagon classics - I love them. I'm not racing but I ride pretty agressively, and these are fine - all I need. You can spend whatever you want, but for me the Hagon is all the shock I need and half the price of the others.

Go for the thruxton length, though - it really makes a difference.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Thanks for the reply.
The Hagon classics, they are preload adjustable only, right?

That's why I was wondering if I should pay more to get shocks that have rebound adjustment as well?

Like I said, I'm not a racer, but I want to get my money's worth, and if it would be better overall to pay another hundred bucks to get shocks that have more adjustment maybe I should.

But you're not the first one that says the Hagon classics are a vast improvement over stock.

Hmmm, decisions decisions.

(Also gonna get new fork springs, trying do decide between the complex Works kit and the straight-swap Ikon progressives.)

-K

MattRat

TT Racer
Yes - I think preload adjustable only

If you're going with progressives for the front, check Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse - they were uber-cheap a couple of months ago.

DandyDoug

750cc
I installed the Hagon classics about 2 or 3 months after I got my 05 T100. At 20k I'm sort of thinking about a replacement, if I do replace them I'll be looking for something with more adjustability besides pre load. There is nothing wrong with the current model as far as I can tell, just would like more options.
As with anything, you pay your $$ and get what you pay for.

drlapo

Hooligan
the Hagons are preload adj only but if you order directly from David Quinn, the US distributor he will build the shock to suit you you have to call him as he must talk to you to get your "needs" and will not take shock orders by email
davequinnmotorcycles.com

drlapo

Hooligan
Sportster shocks fit and work and are around $35 a pair on eBay and eveywhere else so you can wear them out and thow them away every couple of years
I have two pair "on hand" just for a quick fix if needed

TheBBR

Scooter
I just got Hagon classics and love them. I went with the size between the thrux and bonnie and wish I had gone all the way to thrux length. It quickened the steering and made the bike come alive. I am fine with the adjustability. Definately do the fork springs as well though because it gives the bike a split personality if you don't. The rear screams, "Give me throttle you pussy!" While the front crys, "Slow down we're gonna fuckin die!"

BBR

Bonafide

NBR founder
I personally have the IKON 7614s on my silver bullet and GF has them on her BB - both sets are Thruxton length. I've rotated my Ohlins (piggybacks) and IKONs from one bike to the next. On the roads I ride (N GA mountains), I really couldnt tell the difference between them. Kinda hard to beat the performance you get for the price on the IKONs ... well, that's my opinion at least.

BTW - I even special ordered/installed some 7614s for my CB750 project, but that's not even close to being done.

neuroboy

750cc
i have a pair of kawi zrx shocks. they're great, fully adjustable (pre, compression, rebound), and go for about $200-250 used. the only drawback i've found so far is they're on the stiff side because they're made for a heavier bike. i just keep the setting on the light side and they work well.

Rocker

Two Stroke
I have the Ikons on the back and they are just fine. I kept the stock length as I grew up in rationed U K and only grew to normal size and I need to touch the ground every now and then. I dropped the forks a touch to quicken steering up a bit.
I have Race Tech springs with emulators and am very pleased with the improvement.I never ran with just new springs in the front so couldn't tell you the difference but you won't regret doing both ends at the same time whatever you decide on the front.
Now if I could get used to the Dunlops when I'm leaned over life would be almost perfect.

I swapped out my Ikons for a set of Ohlins 36E's. As good as the Ikons were over the stock shocks, the Ohlins are that much better than the Ikons. I also installed RaceTech fork springs and emulators. Simply incredible ride and handling over stock.

uzidzit

Two Stroke
zrx 1100

are about the best bang for the buck, and their longer length adds much to the speed of the turn in and cornering clearence. the also can be rebuilt and re valved.

KYB's

I dig my KYB's. They came off a Kawa (ZRX?) totally adjustable and awesome. They are also about an inch taller than the stockers. I combined them with the Works Performance fork springs. Wy cool.

Cheers,

SK

NewOldSchool

Two Stroke
I just joined the ZRX fan club here as well. For the price, you can get all of the features of the more expensive shocks. And they can be rebuilt which was another plus.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I swapped out my Ikons for a set of Ohlins 36E's. As good as the Ikons were over the stock shocks, the Ohlins are that much better than the Ikons. I also installed RaceTech fork springs and emulators. Simply incredible ride and handling over stock.

I put a pair of Ohlins 36PL's on mine, along with some IKON progressive springs up front. Amazing handling and ride now, very little dive, stays planted, a bit stiff but that is perfect for my riding style. Very composed ride.

They were expensive, but I've found with most things motorcycle (and most things in general) that you pay for what you get. However, I don't bet I'd be able to tell the difference between the Ohlins and some other shocks that cost half as much in a blind test. More experienced riders might, but not me. I love the way they look, though, and they get a lot of comments. I guess I just went for the sure thing, and it worked, but it cost.

DSC00496.jpg

UraniumC

Banned
I'm running the Works rear shocks and they are a big improvement over stock. If you care, you can find my report on them on this site.

Seems there are a lot of fine options out there. The important thing is to make the change from stock. And, as others, have said, do the fronts as well.