rear sets and cafe bars

UraniumC

Banned
as posted elsewhere on the site, had a grand ride today. one where it all just flowed perfectly.

That, and the nip in the air with approaching winter, turns an old man's fancy to modifications.

As good as the ride today was, it seems it would be slightly more comfortable if my feet were back a bit and the bar a tad lower. both are stock now.

but when I read the threads on rear sets and "cafe" bars, geezers like me seem to complain about the comfort.

I'm 6"2" and with a long torso. Just seems the lower bar and rear sets would strech me out a bit in a good way.

Plus they look cool. ;)

Advice?

NewOldSchool

Two Stroke
I found stock foot pegs and Super Bars to be of the most comfortable positions. It wasnt to drastic of a change enough to be noticed. They bars first as they are pretty cheap and a really quick swap.

I'm 6'0'', but I have short legs (30" inseam) and obviously a long torso to make up the other 42", and I find low bars and rearsets to be really comfy. The bars can be tough around town (depending on how low they are) if you put all of your weight on your wrists, but learning to use your back/abs to support your weight helps a lot. At speeds above say 30-40mph there is no issue, and at highway speeds it is really comfy.

highly recommended from this stumpy-legged gorrilla-torso'd rider!

DavidC

Rocker
Uranium - I am 6 2" and have M bars and reversed my pegs and went for a 150 miler today in cool NJ weather. Could not have been more comfortable. Well, maybe a bit with the stock bars. But in the wind M's are better and in the turns M's are better and the coolness factor of M's are better. So... buy black ones!

UraniumC

Banned
Uranium - I am 6 2" and have M bars and reversed my pegs and went for a 150 miler today in cool NJ weather. Could not have been more comfortable. Well, maybe a bit with the stock bars. But in the wind M's are better and in the turns M's are better and the coolness factor of M's are better. So... buy black ones!

thanks, guys...

Sweat, I've also got a 30" (maybe 31" at a strech) inseam. Never thought of myself as a "stumpy legged gorilla" but I guess if the shoe fits... :D

I've also got about 30 years on you, so I may have to think about that wrist issue.

David, remebering that I'm slow and :stupid:, can you explain exactly how you reverse your pegs? thx.

DavidC

Rocker
Put the left side peg on the right side and the right side peg on the left side. Position so that they fold upwards like before. Take the bike for a spin; see if you like the position. If so, remove scrape buds and plug hole with plastic automotive caps. This lowers and moves rearward pegs about 1/2 inch. It is really just the right spot.
Forget about the notched part showing; I don't notice it anymore.

nochicanes

Two Stroke
what I finally ended up with on a bar arrangement with rear sets. The bars are part of the conversion kit from BC...fairly flat super bike bars. Better for my wrists at 6 ft 1 in. and a 32 inch inseam. The wheel is turned a little bit so it looks like its got a further pull back then it really does.

2913858498_fc874cb63a_b.jpg

neuroboy

750cc
just chiming in. . . ace bars and rear sets have been a wonderful change for me. i'm 6'0" and am loving it.

drlapo

Hooligan
damn near 60 years old 5'7" 150 lbs, 30" inseam
05 Thruxton with Tarozzi high boy clip ons
very comfy and rideable for long distances
probably will take it to Benningon next year

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Flexibility, not age!

A lot depends on the flexibility of your joints, not your age. I've NEVER been very flexible and so rearsets are a "no go" for me. Being 5'10" with 30" inseams isn't the problem, it's the degree that my knees are willing to bend for more than 30 minutes. Just something else to think about :)

I've said it before, but I'm amazed that some bike manufacturer hasn't invented "Adjustable Controls" with two settings, one for touring and one for more agressive riding. Ideally I'd flip the pegs to the touring setting at the start of the ride and then when I got to the track or twisty roads, I flip them to a more agressive position.

There is no way that we'd buy a car with a non-adjustable seat, yet we're expected to do that when buying a motorcycle.

How ' bout this?

I love my ACR adjustable clubmans and my Hyde rear sets. The bars offer endless possibilities. BTW 6'1" 32" inseam and 160lbs.

Bon032008ltlo.jpg

Cheers,

SK

ggRAT

Street Tracker
I love my ACR adjustable clubmans and my Hyde rear sets. The bars offer endless possibilities. BTW 6'1" 32" inseam and 160lbs.
SK

I had similar LSL rear sets and sold them. What I'm looking for (dreaming of?) are foot pegs that can easily switch, without tools, from a sporting position (rear set) to a touring position (Modre peg-like).

Dream on, right :)

loxpump

Rocker
M bars and rearsets. 51, 5'6" 30 in inseam. Perfect combination. IMHO. I found myself using the passenger pegs alot on long straight stretches. I feel it also helps with reducing wind against my chest and takes a bit of weight off my ass. One thing I noticed also is I can put my feet straight down on the ground where before I legs would hit the pegs. I don't have the most flexible joints and have not noticed any problems. I can't wait to try it on the track Sunday.