really need help. Electrical

msc66

Two Stroke
So, 2001 Bonnie. Go out the other day to ride. Turn on the key, hit the starter button an Click. Everything goes out. No idiot lights. Nothing. Check battery cables, still nothing. Put charger on and it says full charged. Battery reads 12.41 volts across.

After much internet searching I pull the ignition switch and pig tail, solenoid and starter relay off an America I have here. I put all these on the bonnie one at a time and still nothing.

Couple of weird things. With both ignition switches if I wiggle the switch half way between off and on I can sometimes get the idiot lights to come on dim and when I hit the starter button the relay just clicks. The other thing is if I try jumping across the solenoid with the key on nothing happens but with the key off it trys to turn over but won't. I'm stumped. Was supposed to go on a ride sunday and this is killing me. Help please.

msc66

Two Stroke
Ok, I turn in my mechanic's card. It was the battery. I still don't get it though. So ok, it didn't have the amps to turn the motor over but not even enough to light up the idiot lights? And, when I turned the key to accessory the headlight came on but with the key in the on position ... nothing. Another weird thing, if I jumped the solenoid with the key off the motor would turn over but with the key on it did nothing. It makes my brain itch but I'm just glad its solved. Oh, and the battery was less than 2 years old. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

msc66

Two Stroke
Oh, and the battery I put in it out of my America read almost exactly the same. 12.43 volts so go figure.

PieMan

Two Stroke
For a battery to last up to 5,6,7 years as some do, the bike needs to be ridden every day. If a bike is left and not ridden for a few weeks the battery can discharge and if it gets too low it'll never take a full charge again. Modern chargers can help to put life back in to it, but your battery will never have the power it once had.

If a bike is left for over a couple of weeks, to be safe you need to connect a trickle charger, this will effectively fool the battery in to thinking it's being used as the voltage goes up and down and extend it's life.

PieMan

Two Stroke
For a battery to last up to 5,6,7 years as some do, the bike needs to be ridden every day. If a bike is left and not ridden for a few weeks the battery can discharge and if it gets too low it'll never take a full charge again. Modern chargers can help to put life back in to it, but your battery will never have the power it once had.

If a bike is left for over a couple of weeks, to be safe you need to connect a trickle charger, this will effectively fool the battery in to thinking it's being used as the voltage goes up and down and extend it's life. I learnt this lesson a few years ago and now my bikes that aren't ridden often get a charge every couple of weeks.