Reality Check from Honda

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/a...k-from-honda-in-touch-with-economics.html?hpw
NO one would blame you for interpreting Honda’s introduction of the 2012 NC700X as an attempt to bring some sanity back to motorcycling.
16BIKE-articleLarge.jpg

Specifications

Model: NC700X / NC700X with Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission and Combined ABS

Engine Type: 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin

Bore and Stroke: 73mm x 80mm

Compression ratio: 10.7:1

Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder

Induction: PGM-FI with 36mm throttle body

Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance

Transmission: Six-speed / Automatic six-speed with two modes and a manual mode

Final Drive: Chain

Suspension
Front: 41mm fork; 6.0 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Linkš single shock with spring preload adjustability; 5.9 inches travel

Brakes
Front: Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper / Single 320mm disc with three-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper; Combined ABS

Tires
Front: 120/70ZR17 radial
Rear: 160/60ZR17 radial

Wheelbase: 60.6 inches

Rake (Caster angle): 27.0¡

Trail: 110.0mm (4.3 inches)

Seat Height: 32.7 inches

Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gallons

Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD

Color: Light Silver Metallic

Curb Weight*: 472 pounds / 505 pounds

*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuelÑready to ride.

Comment -This bike appeals to me on several levels.70 MPG/ 240 mile range seems more reasonable to me than the 38 MPG/120 mile range of my Bonny. Not sure how it compares to the Bonneville specifications or to the Tiger 800, but - I like this direction in motorcycles. Sanity.

Last edited:

TheFixer

Two Stroke
Sal,

I've been eyeing this model in my MC magazines too. Fuel efficient and commuter-friendly storage out of the crate, along with options for hard side bags and a top case. It's a Honda, so it should be reliable. Very competitive price point too. I appreciate the design creativity and <1000 cc sizing.

Thanks for sharing!
Fix

Bonafide

NBR founder
Comment -This bike appeals to me on several levels.70 MPG/ 240 mile range seems more reasonable to me than the 38 MPG/120 mile range of my Bonny. Not sure how it compares to the Bonneville specifications or to the Tiger 800, but - I like this direction in motorcycles. Sanity.

Well, I wouldnt compare an apple to an orange which how this bike plays towards a Bonneville. They're both motorcycles .. and that's about it. IMO, it's a commuter/adventure bike .. with no soul.

This bike is aimed at the BMW F800, the Tiger800, and the V-Stroms, etc. And while I love my Tiger800 for what it is, a wonderful and very versatile bike, it's really doesnt have much coolness.

neuroboy

750cc
my buddy kind of thinks of his FZ6 that way. He's got it all dialed in--full givi hardbag/tailbox set up and high windscreen. No emotion, just pure functionality. He fully admits he'll own a Bonneville one way in the near future.

ivar

TT Racer
I wonder if it feels more like an appliance than a motorcycle???

However, 70 mpg is nothing to sneeze at.

funny, appliance was the 1st word that came to mind when reading the first post.
Also agree that 70mpg is kinda nice

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The bike is almost 10 grand! I know there are bikes that cost more than that but it is still 10 fucking grand! Maybe I'm a po-boy but I wouldn't exactly gleefully run up and down the street professing the economical value of this purchase. Liquid cooled engine at only 700cc? I don't like that...just more shit to maintain/break down BUT...that 70 mpg is a figure that is pretty damn sweet.

strokerlmt

Might be good for a commuter but not for me. reminds of my bud's Vstrom. my feelings are 75% of the bikes are going in a direction that doesn't appeal to this senior.
LMT

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Storage for a full face helmet with out bags or a trunk would be mighty nice... does lack the coolness factor though. Fuck fuel economy, I don't give a damn, riding for me will never be about counting mpg, it is about crackin the throttle and smiling. On the other hand I don't commute on a bike which the NC700 would be great for, but I get better fuel economy by walking to work every day thru rain, snow, ice storm, or sunshine. Living very close to work and riding what ever you want for fun, regardless of the mpg, is the best fuel economy, and most people could do much better about that. *gets off of soapbox*

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
If you read my post I wrote " range" , as in don't have to reflill every single day when used as a commuter. My commute is 32 hilly miles each way, which puts it just outside the ability of my Bonny to go two days in a row. Same thing when taking a trip through the mountains, where 50 miles between towns means you have to stop at every other town to be safe on gas.

Then again, I modded my Bonneville, so its partially my fault - it used to get 45 mpg stock, and now gets 35 MPG.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
If you read my post I wrote " range" , as in don't have to reflill every single day when used as a commuter. My commute is 32 hilly miles each way, which puts it just outside the ability of my Bonny to go two days in a row. Same thing when taking a trip through the mountains, where 50 miles between towns means you have to stop at every other town to be safe on gas.

Then again, I modded my Bonneville, so its partially my fault - it used to get 45 mpg stock, and now gets 35 MPG.

This is my argument why Triumph needs to add a Tiger Cub to the modern classic line up! A single lung, 500cc motor that is just as classy as the Bonnie and friendlier mpg. Come on Triumph!!!!!:mad2::attn:

Mark

750cc
Honda’s own research confirms what most of us know anyway, that riders typically travel at less than 85mph for 90 per cent of the time, and use less than 6,000 revs for 80 per cent of the time. The NC700X is designed to work at its best in those ranges, rather than in the small percentages we rarely access.

Having said that I think it makes for a perfect second bike, one that will be more user friendly in the real world but not one which will garner any attention at the coffee shop. If you need the attention this isn't going to do it for you. Not a bad ass bone in it's body. I think it would compare nicely to the Wee Strom but with more storage and less off road ability. I checked out an ABS model recently and it was pretty good value at just over 8k. Non current Strom 650's are on sale for $7.5. I have to give Honda full marks for starting with a clean sheet of paper and time will tell if it pushes enough buttons of why we ride to succeed in the marketplace.

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
This is my argument why Triumph needs to add a Tiger Cub to the modern classic line up! A single lung, 500cc motor that is just as classy as the Bonnie and friendlier mpg. Come on Triumph!!!!!:mad2::attn:

I agree Triumph should come out with a 500 single, but a bike like that really should be about being light weight too. The modern classic frame would need to be much lighter and probably smaller to go with a 500 single. I doubt it would be something that would come to the US anyway, but it would be nice if it did.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I agree Triumph should come out with a 500 single, but a bike like that really should be about being light weight too. The modern classic frame would need to be much lighter and probably smaller to go with a 500 single. I doubt it would be something that would come to the US anyway, but it would be nice if it did.

I agree with you on this but I think there could be considerable weight savings just because it would drop down to a single lung and then Triumph should go with a single downtube frame. It would look damn sexy on that kind of scoot and it isn't like Triumph has no experience when it comes down to single downtubes! Look at the weights of the 650 & 750 Meriden Bonnies. I think Hinckley could totally pull this off and it wouldn't take a lot brain scratching to make it happen. I just think they need to see the market for it before they add another bike in the line up. For that reason, I hope bikes like these Hondas gain some momentum...it's nice to see function starting to take a role once again with new designs.

ivar

TT Racer

something like a modern (but classic) cross between a Yamaha SR4/500 and a Royal Enfield.. that we could make our own by modding the hell out of them :D

As for fuel range and MPG, the ol' venerable Royal Enfields are reported to get around 70MPG with their 50's tech....