Ran out of fuel

Kapyong

moped
Yesterday........... Lets go back a day, the day before yesterday the fuel light comes on (Thruxton 2010 EFI) now I usually get a couple of days commuting before the light comes on 'solid' and I know I have a couple of litres left in the tank.

From the light flickering to putt, putt putt on the freeway exit I have probably covered only 25km. Luckily I only had to cover only around a 500mtr push to the petrol station to fill up. :T

To the point of my thread...........

Filled the tank to the brim, 13.85 litres......... WTF! I'm sure I have put more in the tank in the past.

Home to check the rider’s manual, tank capacity is 16.6 litres........ So either I have a very skinny tank with less capacity (unlikely) or, well I dunno!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Steve

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My only thought is to do it the old school way; set your odometer to zero when you fill up and then clock it. In time you will know exactly the distance you can go before you are pushing your way back. I reset to zero on every fill up and there is no chance of running out of gas again doing it this way.

koifarm

Hooligan
My only thought is to do it the old school way; set your odometer to zero when you fill up and then clock it. In time you will know exactly the distance you can go before you are pushing your way back. I reset to zero on every fill up and there is no chance of running out of gas again doing it this way.

+1, sure works for me that way.....don't forget, there is only one petcock on the left side, there is a small amount of gasoline lurking on the right side, ever hear of the "tilt your bike to the left to move the gas from one side of the tank to the other" routine?

bonZa

Street Tracker
+1, sure works for me that way.....don't forget, there is only one petcock on the left side, there is a small amount of gasoline lurking on the right side, ever hear of the "tilt your bike to the left to move the gas from one side of the tank to the other" routine?

didnt work with me when I ran out. tilted it over in every direction and just about upside down. almost had a hernia trying but she was dry as a bone and completely empty, not a drop. I think the later tanks (mines an '07 with the efi tank but with carbs) allow every drop to be used compared to the older tanks

besides the op has an efi bike and relies on a fuel pump

oh yes, mine took about 16.6 liters when I filled it back up

Sinkers

Scooter
Cut out with 1.5 litres in the tank.

Sorry to bring this one up again nearly a year later but I feel it's relevent and rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd hijack this one.

My bike a 2012 McQueen ran out of fuel on me last Thursday.

I was coming through a junction and put put put dead. I had to scoot the rest of the way across the junction. Tried shaking the bike, puting it to one side then the other and nothing. To avoid risking the battery I pushed the bike back the 200 meters to the petrol station.

I filled the bike right up to the brim and could only get 15.1 litres into it. I had only travelled 147.5 miles with some motorway (approx 35 miles) at 70mph and one quick blast to max on a straight. About 30 miles on regional roads and the rest stop start city driving.

I have got over 150 miles from this bike before and I have also put over 15.1 litres into it. How could it run out of fuel when there is supposedly another 1.5 litres in the tank? By my reconing I should have got at least another 15 miles out of it.

Any suggestions?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I don't know if I have an answer for you other than 150 miles is the magic number to where I am walking alongside my Trumpet versus riding my Trumpet. I know this from experience as I ran out of fuel at that same number. It wasn't because I wasn't paying attention to the odometer but rather there was no damn station to get to!

Motley

750cc
What are the chances that you didn't run out of fuel? Perhaps the tank ain't breathing, or something.

Sinkers

Scooter
I definately ran out of fuel alright. When I filled up it started with no problems and ran perfectly.

I just can't understand why I could only get 15.1 litres into a 16 litre tank following a ride to empty.