Raising Eyebrows

taw1126

Scooter
Flash photography sucks, but this is the best I could do at night, in the garage. Just got finished replacing my 2008 Scrambler's factory-issue plastic tank badges with the accessory "eyebrow" units. It was a tough choice between these and the harmonica badges, but I'm hoping to end up with something that looks like a 1967 or 1968 TR6C so these seemed like the right pick.

L1010600.jpg

I don't know what adhesive the guys at Hinckley used, but after fighting it for a couple of hours I have a theory that it was developed by some scientists working at Area 51.

Next up: mount the skidplate after my 500 mile service on Thursday; fly screen and TORS should be here next week.

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
That's correct. This bike had the plastic stick-on badges, but the tank was drilled & tapped for the bolt-ons. I was excited when I figured out the badges could be changed (I verified that my tank had the little "tits" inside to hold the screws before I started doing anything) but it was a couple of hours work to get all the adhesive removed.

taw1126

Scooter
I didn't get any pictures while they were still on the bike, but this is one of them. They didn't look bad from any reasonable distance, and you probably wouldn't know they were plastic unless you took them off. I have to admit I like the looks of the harmonica badges enough that I might still acquire a set of those.
L1010626.jpg

bonZa

Street Tracker
That's correct. This bike had the plastic stick-on badges, but the tank was drilled & tapped for the bolt-ons. I was excited when I figured out the badges could be changed (I verified that my tank had the little "tits" inside to hold the screws before I started doing anything) but it was a couple of hours work to get all the adhesive removed.

I've got the stick on badges too, but I prefer the bolt on type like what you fitted.

I like feeling tits, but how did you work out your bike had tits for the screws
inside the tank?

and where do you get eyebrow badges from?

taw1126

Scooter
how did you work out your bike had tits for the screws inside the tank?
Used a flashlight and a small mechanic's mirror. I could only see one (on the right side, nearest the gas cap) but that was enough to confirm other people's experience that the 2008's were still being drilled & tapped for the bolt-on badges. A Google search on 2008 Bonneville tank badges will bring up a couple of threads on this topic.

and where do you get eyebrow badges from?
Hermy's had the best prices. Retail is $100 US and they sell them for $85 US. For some reason they only list tank badges on the Thruxton page:
http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/accessories/retro/thruxton/

Neducati

Two Stroke
I wonder whether my '09 matte khaki green Scrambler tank has the threaded inserts to accept the tank badges? I'll try out taw1126's flashlight/mirror inspection technique.

My '09 50th Anniversary Bonnie had them, but I've heard that some 09' Bonnies made later in the year did not have them.

It would suck if I pulled off the plastic badges to find that the threaded inserts were not there, and to be unable to firmly reattach the plastic badges.

Ned