Raise Your Glasses to Zak

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This is Zak...short for Zakennayo which is Japanese for "don't fuck with me."

IMG_1467.jpg

Zak was found in 2001 in a downtown city dumpster diving; his testicles kicked up inside him and he was so thin that his body started eating off its muscle. Zak was caught up in the dog fighting ring but managed to get loose and runaway...who knows how many days he was on the run - we think that he fed on a few cats as that his is one and only ticket to instant aggression.

My wife and I rescued Zak when we got a call from a friend of ours that took him. He was passed off to three people in two days as the former owners were looking for him. Our friends called me and we took Zak home that day. A trip to the vet found out that we had to dig wood splinters out of his hip from the beatings he used to go through and he had to get castrated because of his testicle lodged up inside him. Zak was doctored up, put on a special diet to let his stomach adjust to actually having food and protein and he came home to a quiet and calm home where he had a bed and couch to lounge around in quiet. There was a female boxer waiting on him as well and surprisingly, this alpha female immediately took to him....Zak must have played on her maternal side - a side that many of us never thought existed.

Zak nurtured to health and it was as if he never started life out so ugly. This dog then went on to circle the globe. He went from Washington to Tokyo, Japan where he lived for four years. Then Zak flew to Seattle, drove to St. Louis and got on a plane to London where he lived in England for the next several years. Then Zak got another plane in London and went directly to Tokyo once more and traveled up 12 hours to the north. Zak literally did a full circle of the globe. And this is what the dog that started his life off in violence ended up being like:

Zak is the tough looking one on the left:

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

We had to put this champion to sleep today. His body gave out on him. His legs giving out and he had cysts in his belly to where he couldn't eat anymore and he was losing weight. His last act was drinking a few slurps of water and he threw it up with blood. We did what had to be done.

Zak was a champion. He started this life with nothing but coldness and hatred around him but he was warm and loving. He loved his family and he took car of us. I want others who have never seen Zak know who he was and raise their glass today and say...to Zak!

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Glad you rescued Zak and gave him the love he deserved. Sorry for your loss, but you can rest a little easier knowing you showed him the good life. I know he'll be missed in your household.

Cheers, buddy. Good on you for taking care of him. It sounds like he took care of you, too. I'll raise a glass and pat my 2 critters on the head in Zak's honor.

I'd say that I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you have gained a lot.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
He does look mean but obviously he was a sweetie pie. I did the same thing - rescued a pitt bull from a pound. .

So great that you rescued him. I can see that you gave him a great life and lots of love and affection. That's the way with these big terriers. You gotta love any aggression out of them. So sorry that you now lost him. It's tough.

AceT100

Rocker
Sad beginning...wonderful middle....sad ending....farewell Zak, he'll be waiting on the far side of the Rainbow Bridge for you.

You did a good thing.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thanks for your comments guys; I really appreciate it. I must have cleaned both my bikes today twice each and was still tinkering in the shed looking to stay busy. I have had my fair of dogs during my lifetime and you would think this would get easier to deal with it but it doesn't. I feel as though if I could be half as good as Zak, then I would be a better person than I am today. My four year old son is trying to piece this concept together and my ten month old boy is crawling around yelling as loud as he...."zak, zak, zak."...he learned to say Zak before he learned how to say ma-ma. This is torture.

Motley

750cc
Thanks for your comments guys; I really appreciate it. I must have cleaned both my bikes today twice each and was still tinkering in the shed looking to stay busy. I have had my fair of dogs during my lifetime and you would think this would get easier to deal with it but it doesn't. I feel as though if I could be half as good as Zak, then I would be a better person than I am today. My four year old son is trying to piece this concept together and my ten month old boy is crawling around yelling as loud as he...."zak, zak, zak."...he learned to say Zak before he learned how to say ma-ma. This is torture.

It seems like you had a good'un there. It's tough, I know, but in time you'll get over the hurt and think only of the good times.

T-boy

Rocker
Sorry to hear about Zak...you gave him a great life and he rewarded you with unconditional love and loyalty.

strokerlmt

Happy travels Zak.......BO6Tang good on you....he started out rough but because of you he had a great finish. I am sure he gave back more than his share.
LMT

LA_Geezer

Scooter
We had to put our girl, Lulu down 10/27/09 so we know how you feel, friend. Lulu will always be my own first love of a dog, but as another poster has mentioned, it's time for a new pup! I've rescued three dogs from certain death over the past three years, and they are an integral part of our family now.

Zak is waiting for you as is our Lulu.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I definitely want my boys growing up with a dog although it is a little too soon right now and would feel more like replacing Zak versus getting a family dog. This is rough because just two years prior, I had to put my female to sleep that is in the top picture with my oldest boy. We are about a year away from returning to the states now and we will wait to get our boxer then. The cost is just too high buying a dog in Japan and how much it runs me to transport them. I spent over $10 grand on Zak during his lifetime so that he could travel around with us as we covered the globe. I am not bitching though; we knew the cost and we knew that there is no reimbursement for pets so it wasn't like we were blind-sinded. My wife and I can hold our heads up and say that not only was he a rescue but he stayed with us the whole lot of it to include gaining entry into two countries (Japan and UK) that have the most stringent quarantine laws on the planet. Zak had one family, one couch, one bed and the same food and water dish ever since that day my wife and I went to us...my wife loaded him into our car and I confronted the son of a bitch that showed who had the stones to try to take him back. But Zak gave far more back in return as I believe that damn dog understood what I did for him as I explained reason to his former owner by face planting him into the ground right in front of Zak's car window. Just through the days and nights while I was deployed, Zak made my wife feel safe and secure in the house - just that one fact alone he gave back more than whatever I did for him and then how my boys were like glue on him...forget about it...no question...Zak gave far more. I hope there is a rainbow bridge; there are two boxers that made my life better and I can't wait to see them again.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
So sad to say goodbye to a good friend. You are a good person to have rescued him and he showed his appreciation by being a good companion.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Salut Zak!

Here's to you and your family.

It's tough, I know but in time it gets easier.

I dont know if a "cat person" gets how much a dog is a part of your family. My 4 yr old son calls our 8 yr old collie/lab rescue his "brother" but he is actually much more than that...

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Cheers to Zak and cheers to yourself and wife for being the people you are. I actually had to let my little guy go Sunday week ago because of a medical condition so I am feeling your grief.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am sorry you had to say goodbye to your little as well two dogs. Things heal with time and Zak was a 12 year old boxer that had a good life. He left here with people caring for him and upset that he had to leave. I really appreciate everyone's kind words/thoughts/gestures through this. I'd buy a round for everyone if we were all in the same pub right now.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I was telling a friend at work about Zak and about the conditions you saved him from and she said that her little blue heeler was from a litter of pups that had been dumped in a sealed box at the local dump, it was just lucky somebody heard them. Bring back an "eye for an eye" law for these A__ holes.