Race Tech emulators

drlapo

Hooligan
got em for Christmas (OK, I bought them)
appear to be well made, easy to install
I installed them and was shocked at the simplicity of the stock damper rod : it's a tube with 2, 1/4" holes in it. that is the entire damping system!
I'll have to wait for sping to test the Race Tech valves but anything has to be an improvement

Texas94fs

Hooligan
It'll be a huge improvement. Yea when I took the front end apart on the thrux i just laughed and was like, wow, this is what I've been pushing at the track with. Improvements are good. You'll feel stuck to the road like glue.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I did the Race Tech cartridge, valves , springs, oil and the honda F3 fork.I is a wonderful upgrade!!! The guys at Race Tech were VERY helpful in getting me dialed in with the right stuff.

drlapo

Hooligan
I purchased my emulators form my local dealer for $115 vrs $169 that Race Tech wants direct
you want FEGV S3802
it will come with insructions for Harleys
drill the same holes(total of 6), 15w fork oil, level 125mm, 2 turns preload on the emulator springs 15 mm preload on the fork springs (for a 150# rider)
you will need a 2" long 8mm socket (allen) wrench on a socket so you can use an impact wrench, electric will do, to remove the damper screws

DIRK

750cc
the # for parts unlimited is 0413-0035 same as fegv s4105 for the bonnies. they are out of stock til 11 jan

drlapo

Hooligan
Race Tech's site lists the FEGV S3802 for the Thruxton
they fit in my bike
are Bonneville forks different?

DIRK

750cc
thank you for catching my error. looks like i got to be stupid again hahaaa. all the bonnie series are the same fork.

Bigted

Two Stroke
I purchased my emulators form my local dealer for $115 vrs $169 that Race Tech wants direct
you want FEGV S3802
it will come with insructions for Harleys
drill the same holes(total of 6), 15w fork oil, level 125mm, 2 turns preload on the emulator springs 15 mm preload on the fork springs (for a 150# rider)
you will need a 2" long 8mm socket (allen) wrench on a socket so you can use an impact wrench, electric will do, to remove the damper screws

Dr, any particular reason why you went with emulators rather then a set of Intiminators? Jus wonderin...

drlapo

Hooligan
I went with the Race Tech because they are made in the USA, are very good quality, cost $115 and I like the idea of opening the damper rod holes to increase flow. I did not like RICOR's method of leaving the damper rod holes alone as they are very tiny and there are only two so they are very restrictive

bs20ric

moped
The Ricors require a very lightweight oil (I use motorex 2.5W).

It was explained to me that any damping effect produced when using the original spec fork oil through the rods becomes negated once the lightweight (correct) grade for the Ricors is used, and then all the suspension damping is controlled by the Ricors.

drlapo

Hooligan
The Ricors require a very lightweight oil (I use motorex 2.5W).

It was explained to me that any damping effect produced when using the original spec fork oil through the rods becomes negated once the lightweight (correct) grade for the Ricors is used, and then all the suspension damping is controlled by the Ricors.

the stock damper rod holes are really small and I have my doubts about leaving them alone even with 2.5 oil
the RACE TECH units use 15 oil
they were easy to install, the fork oil needed to be changed anyway and I got to clean out the forks:cheer:

Bigted

Two Stroke
You used to see a great many Ricor threads/posts when the Intiminators first came out, ...now you never see any, ...like they fell off the face of the earth or somethin. Same way with their rear shocks, ...were supposed to be the "second coming", saw very few if any follow up reports on them by those that bought em. Never hear anything about them anymore.
I have the Intiminators but have yet to put them on. I believe there was a big thread on ADVRider about drilling out the Intiminators.

ratlab

Scooter
i believe i read a thread that they had wheel hopping problems just going down a straight road-i think triumph rat

drlapo

Hooligan
i believe i read a thread that they had wheel hopping problems just going down a straight road-i think triumph rat

my Thruxton did that too, I'm hoping the emulators cure it but I'm still working on oil levels and spring preload
much less dive under braking, not much improvment in low speed "cushion" but that is probably a funciton of the spring preload
i also put on fresh tires so I have to scrub them in before I can really test the high speed funtions of the fork
if I take it to Bennington it wil get a real test and workout

drlapo

Hooligan
I've only ridden the bike twice with the emulators but there is an improvement in front end stability and feel in corners. The front end is more planted. There is much less fork dive when braking. No change in low speed "comfort"
I also installed a set of AVON Roadriders so I'm not sure how much of the improved front end feel is from the emulators an how much is from the tires

ratlab

Scooter
yes with intiminators-i did the race tech and they are fantastic-you can stiffen or soften the ride on the emulator with how much turn you put on it -i did 2and 1/4 turns because a use it on the track ,but you can use less if you want a plusher ride-you can also play with fork oil weights and levels-they are a must have